Chapter 17: The Barn Dance

The barn was crowded and loud, but it was fun. People were smiling, cheering and clapping as we danced.

Dashing White Sergeant finally came around, and everyone paired up.

I went with Gilbert and Winifred, and Anne was there too, along with two other random men.

I smiled at how he looked at Winifred. As long as he was happy, I didn't mind.

I laughed as we went through the steps, but I looked across the room, jealous of the man who was dancing with Miss Stacy.

When the dance finished everyone clapped, and I smiled.

I watched as she crossed the room, smiling and talking to Matthew. He nodded, and they went to dance.

My smile fell, and I stepped back.

The girls began questioning me about Winifred.

"They met at the doctors office, she works there. She's lovely," I said, and they giggled.

Josie left to go get air, and I didn't take notice of it. I was too focused on Miss Stacy.

She suddenly met my gaze, and she smiled at me. I suddenly felt good again, and when the dance finished she turned to Matthew, thanking him and saying something else before turning to me.

Josie had come back.

"Where were you? Moody looked at me and you missed it!" Ruby said, squealing.

"I was talking to a friend, you guys don't know her," she said awkwardly.

Both Anne and I took notice of Billy come in too.

I swallowed, looking around and seeing Miss Stacy look at me. She left the room, and I knew she wanted me to follow.

I looked around before doing so.

The night was cold, and quiet besides the music coming from inside.

"I'm sorry, I just had to take the chance to drive Rachel insane," she said referring to the dance with Matthew.

"She wasn't the only one," I muttered.

"Hm?" She asked.

"Nothing, you just seem to love tormenting her," I said with a smile.

"Well, you would want to if she sent suitors to your door every day too," she said, sitting on a small rock.

I laughed.

"And you didn't like any of them?" I asked, sitting in the grass.

"No. I'm not currently interested in romance, though, there is one person I've considered," she said.

"Who?" I said a little too quickly.

She paused, looking at me, her eyes moved to my lips, and I breathed through my mouth, my heart going too fast.

"It would be inappropriate to inform a student of my romantic life, but once you've graduated perhaps I'll tell you," she said. I nodded, swallowing.

Suddenly, the music picked up to a song I recognized, and I got up, offering her my hand.

She got up, accepting and placing her hand on my waist.

"And just to be clear, I can't get pregnant from this?" I joked, and she smiled, shaking her head.

"Even if you could get pregnant from dancing, two women can't have a child, so no, you won't," she returned.

I smiled, but my heart sunk a little. That was right. I don't know why I hadn't thought of it sooner, it made sense, but part of me had just hoped.

I pushed that aside, enjoying the moment.

Her hand caressed my side, and the other met my hand.

We followed the steps, and I smiled. As the dance ended I curtsied, and she bowed.

"An excellent dancer, Madam," she joked, and we both laughed.

"There's going to be so much to write about for the paper this week. I might write about the ice cream and food booths," I said as we headed back in.

"That would be a good idea, seen as you know so much about the background of ice cream," she said, smiling and raising an eyebrow. I blushed, and just as we went inside, Josie Pye ran past us, crying.

"What did we miss?" I said softly, sighing out heavily at all the tension in the room.

"I do not know..." she said as we moved to the side of the room.

Anne was staring at Billy, in his face.

I wondered what had happened.

—————

"You don't need a crystal ball to see that Josie Pye has been wronged!"

Well this was certainly eventful for my first meeting with the newspaper.

I wondered if all the meetings were like this.

Anne continued to argue on Josie's behalf.

I'd heard about the rumors last night and now understood. Josie had been sexually assaulted by Billy, but was being blamed anyways.

"Are we going to get to work or..?" Gil asked softly.

"Is it more important to discuss who grew the biggest cabbage than something that concerns an entire gender!" Anne exclaimed at him. He raised his eyebrows, sighing and walking away.

"Do you want to write about the balloon or..?" Moody suggested.

"I'll write about the fancy works," Tillie said.

"I'll write about the food," I said, sitting down and getting out some paper. Anne looked like she was formulating an idea.

And when Anne formulated ideas, nothing good ever came of it.