Chapter 23: Misunderstandings

"Wait so- what exactly were you and Anne talking about?" I asked as Gil and I ate dinner.

"I asked if she- if she had feelings for me, and she said no, basically," he explained, sighing.

"Basically? What do you mean basically? Did you see how drunk Anne was? She probably wasn't thinking correctly," I said, and he shook his head.

"She doesn't feel that way, she told me. So, I think- I think I'm going to propose to Winifred this weekend," he said.

I nearly spit out my drink.

"This weekend?" I clarified.

"This weekend."

I sighed. Something wasn't right. I wondered what Anne had said to make him so sure of it.

"Well, good for you then. You'll attend the Sorbonne?" I asked. He shrugged.

"Yep, if she says yes that is," he joked. I smiled.

"Well, she'll be a lovely sister in law. I suppose both of us have a thing for older women," I joked, and he laughed, shoving me slightly and shaking his head.

As I ate dinner I smiled.

I was glad he was happy with Winifred, but something wasn't adding up. I'd soon figure out what.

—————

Gilbert had headed out already to go help rebuild the school, so I had the house alone today.

I was reading in the parlor when she arrived.

I heard another voice, and I got up, seeing her in the kitchen.

"Anne?" I asked.

"Oh! (Y/N), sorry, I just need to leave a note for your brother," she said, placing it on the table and smiling.

"Oh alright, I'll see that he gets it," I said. She nodded, heading out.

I sighed, going back to the parlor.

I read for another while, and when Bash and his mother began to fight again I went upstairs to my room.

I began to wonder what Anne had written. It wasn't my business either way.

Around noon I heard four feet downstairs.

I made my way down.

"Miss Stacy?" I asked.

She looked up at the stairway, smiling.

"Ah! (Y/N)! Sebastian caught me while fishing, so I thought I'd bring a few home for you all," she said as we all went into the kitchen.

Bash's mom joined us.

"Sebastian, you didn't tell me Avonlea had a special fish delivery. You must be miss breeze," she joked, and Sebastian gave her a look.

"Oh no, I'm Muriel Stacy, I'm pleased to make the acquaintance of the woman who raised such an extraordinary man," she said.

"I keep hearing about how proud I should be."

The room became increasingly uncomfortable.

"It's not easy here for outsiders, and I for one, found inspiration in his success," Miss Stacy said, smiling at him. Jealousy pitted itself in my stomach.

"Yes well, turns out he doesn't really need my help. Did he tell you he's sending me back?"

"Ask her to tell you about her habit of willfully misunderstanding me," Bash shot back.