Chapter 9: No Cure

I sighed, walking into the school building.
I felt my heart drop when I saw a clean slate at my desk. I don't know what I'd expected, but I hadn't expected this.
I sighed, observing it. It seemed like Miss Stacy had washed it for me too, it was much cleaner than I'd ever seen it.
I shrugged, putting it in my bag.
The whole day went by slowly, and perhaps it was because Miss Stacy and I couldn't stop making eye contact, and every time we did I was filled with embarrassment.
That was, until she smiled at me. It made my insides go warm.
When school was over, I suddenly remembered Jerry, and I smiled as I saw him waiting for me in the woods.
"Hello Jerry," I said with a smile.
"Hello," he said, walking beside me.
We stayed quiet for a moment.
"So, what should we talk about?" Jerry asked, carrying my bag.
"Well, Anne's been teaching you to read hasn't she?" I said, recalling that she'd mentioned giving reading lessons was fun.
"Oui, she has been. I've been reading the Uh- what is it, the one about the creature," he said.
"Frankenstein?" I guessed, he nodded, smiling.
"What do you think?" I asked.
"The part where he stole the dog sled is crazy!" He said, and I laughed, nodding.
"I'm glad you like it. When you finish, let me know, I'll find you something else to read," I said.
"Merci, that means a lot," he said.
"Remind me, you've got a big family, right?" I said, and he nodded.
"Oui, I do. More siblings than I can count on my fingers," he said, and I giggled.
I slipped into French.
"You know Jerry, I think you're very sweet," I said. He smiled. I felt butterflies, just like the ones I'd gotten with Miss Stacy.
"(Y/N)? May I kiss you?" He said. I raised my eyebrows, but I nodded shyly. He bent down, kissing my cheek. I felt my face go hot.
I wondered if I loved him. But if I loved him, and I got those butterflies, did that mean I loved Miss Stacy?
—————
I came home to yelling.
"What do you mean, no cure? There has to be something you can do!"
I felt my heart drop. Mary had fallen sick, and Gil had gone to fetch a doctor. The yelling continued, and then it stopped. I waited in the kitchen. Bash and Gil came in, both upset. Bash headed to Mary's room, and I heard crying.
"She's going to die. There's no cure," Gil said softly. I felt like throwing up.
I ran outside, doing so in the grass. My hands trembled. Gil helped me up, helping me back inside. I sat down at the table and he handed me a glass of water.
"Are you- are you sure?" I asked shakily.
He nodded.
"Dr. Ward said there's nothing we can do. The cut from her hand caused an infection," he said, and I felt tears slip down my cheeks.
"Why do we keep losing everyone?" I asked, sobbing. Gil rushed towards me, embracing me and stroking my hair.
"I don't know. I don't know," he said, and I embraced him, and we sobbed into each other's arms.
"I want dad back," I said, crying.
"I know, I know. We all do," he said, rubbing my back.
"I just wish we could protect everyone," I said, sniffing. He sighed, nodding.
"I know. It makes me wonder if becoming a doctor is really for me or not," he said, and I gave a sympathetic look.
"I'm gonna go for a ride. I need to clear my mind," I said, and he nodded, sighing as I got up.
I headed out on my horse, undoing my hair and just closing my eyes, letting myself feel free.
I slowed down on the horse, walking on it and pondering. Perhaps Mary's illness would go away, or perhaps the doctor had falsely identified the illness. Maybe it was just a regular fever. I sighed.
Someone trotted up next to me, and I looked over, seeing Anne.
"Gilbert told me. Do you wanna talk about it?" She asked softly. I shook my head.
"It just- it feels like everyone I love is slowly slipping away. And I desperately need some advice," I said, sighing.
"About?" She questioned.
"I'm questioning some romantic feelings. And it's been eating at me all day, and learning about Mary has set me over the edge," I said, feeling a nervous pit in my stomach.
"Do you want to talk about that?" She asked.
"Sure. I'd just like to take my mind off of Mary," I said softly.
"Who is he?" She asked.
"Well, there's two people. One of them is amazing, good looking, smart, witty, overall kind, and they understand me. But the other one is handsome, funny, sweet, and I can let my more humorous side out around them, what do I do? Who do I pick?" I asked, and she pondered a moment.
"I wish I knew more about romance so I could tell you, but you know who might have good advice?" She said.
"Aunt Josephine."