Chapter 13: Take Notice

As I showed up at school I saw everyone at the board. I grew increasingly nervous, but if I was going to pull this off I had to act natural.

"What's going on?" I asked, rushing over.

"One of the boys took notice of MISS STACY!" Josie said, and there were more whispers, wondering who it was.

"Maybe it was Gilbert, he hasn't posted for anybody else," Tillie suggested.

"That's not like him. Maybe it's just a prank, and the boys thought it would be funny," I suggested.

"But what If it isn't? What if one of them actually has a crush on Miss Stacy?" Jane said, looking between all of us.

"Then oh well, right? I just don't see the big deal here. Prissy was courting Mr. Phillips and nobody cared, why is this such a big deal?" Anne said. I wanted to hug her. She was annoying at times, but was a saving angel when people were in trouble.

"Because, Anne, men can't court women who are older than them," Josie said.

"We should go ask them, maybe someone will admit to it," Diana said. Josie nodded, and all of the girls headed inside, going up to the boys.

"Who posted it?" Josie asked, crossing her arms.

"Posted what?" Gilbert asked, looking up from his book.

"One of you took notice of Miss Stacy, who was it?" She said louder.

I mentally hit my head on a wall.

"Josie what was that?"

She turned, looking at Miss Stacy.

"Go check the take notice board, you'll see it," she said before going back to interrogate the boys. Of course, none of them cared, or knew what she was talking about for that matter. Lucky for me, If they ever suspected a girl of posting it, which they wouldn't, Anne was much closer to Miss Stacy during class than I was.

Though, I had no clue how Miss Stacy herself would react to it.

She stormed in from the closet.

"Everyone at your seats now!" She instructed. We were all surprised, never having seen her so angry.

I began to regret posting it.

"Please get out your notebooks, you're going to write my name in your handwriting," she said. Everyone murmured, confused. But I understood well why she was making us do this.

"Please, just do it. You will then write your name at the top of the paper and rip it from your notebook. Then you'll hand it into me," she said.

She gave us a minute, and everyone did as she instructed, turning it in.

"Does anyone know why I've done this?" She asked.

I raised my hand.

"(Y/N)?"

"Someone posted on the take notice board for you. You want to match the handwriting," I said, and she nodded.

"Precisely. Whoever did it, it was highly inappropriate to be posting public things about your teacher. I'm not necessarily angry, but when you are discovered, you will be talked to, and your parents will be told," she said.

"So, if you don't want your parents to be told, you should admit to it now. Please raise your hand if the note belongs to you," she said, looking over at the boys.

Nobody raised a hand.

She sighed, looking back at the papers as she straightened them out.

For a moment she looked up, she looked straight at me. I thought I was about to throw up. It felt like she could see straight through me. Her beautiful blue eyes pierced me.