Chapter 20: The Action

I stood next to them on the school deck, sighing and playing with my white handkerchief.

"You don't they- wouldn't come after all this, right?" She asked Gil.

"Have faith. Not telling you what to do- just a suggestion," he flirted.

I rolled my eyes, and heard my favorite sound.

The sound of a motorbike.

I smiled as Miss Stacy approached. Anne fixed her gaze on some of the students coming, but I never removed my eyes from Miss Stacy.

I stood nervously, wondering if she would say anything.

She got off her bike, and eyed me, smiling.

"You wore the pants," she said as I jumped off the deck.

"I did. Do I look ok? I feel strange," I said, and she smiled.

"You look-" she paused as she searched for a word.

"You look breathtaking. I've always liked a woman in pants," she said, winking and walking away.

My heart skipped several beats.

What was that supposed to mean?

I brushed it off as Anne gave her speech, and we began our march.

It was awkward for me, being so loud, but I kept focusing on the woman in front of me and I was able to shake most of the nerves off.

At some point, I wasn't sure when, but Miss Stacy had grabbed my hand, and we'd walked hand and hand the rest of the way.

It made my heart pound even more than it originally had.

We arrived at the town hall with a much bigger crowd than we'd begun with, and it all happened so fast. We all went behind the curtain, arranging ourselves with our boards. I tied the handkerchief around my mouth, using it as a gag.

Anne gave a small speech before she opened the curtain. I was surprised to see Josie Pye, but was happy to see her nonetheless.

We all stepped forward, presenting our signs. There were small gasps from the crowd, and the minister stepped up with us. He reached for Ruby's sign, but she didn't budge. He reached for the sign that I was holding, and it was then that we all heard the flash of a camera.

Miss Stacy stood there, holding it proudly, a triumphant smile on her face.

The minister turned, pointing at her.

"Miss Stacy! Control your children," He demanded. She locked eyes with me for a moment before telling him off.

"They are not children, and they are not out of control," she corrected.

Gilbert walked up to the minister, holding up the guidelines.

"Thanks for the list of suggestions," He said, tearing the paper in half.

He growled, getting off the stage.

Anne and Josie closed the curtains again, and we all set our boards down. Just as I went to set mine down, I felt a hand reach for my arm.

I turned, seeing Miss Stacy behind me. It was dark, but I knew it was her.

Because it was dark, however, no one else could see us.

She reached for my mouth, removing the gag.

"Good job, today. You didn't let him take the board," she said softly. I nodded.

"He's a lot weaker than you'd think," I whispered, and we both laughed.

The whole class hit the road, going back to Miss Stacy's house where we would celebrate.

She made drinks for us, and it was awkward being there with so many other people. All I wanted to do was talk to her privately.

Gilbert was talking to the guys about his future ambitions, which didn't surprise me at all. Everyone was behaving normally. Miss Stacy seemed even happier than usual, which was nice.

I sat down on the small couch, sighing.

"What's wrong?" Gil asked, sitting down beside me.

"Nothing, I just don't know who to talk to. It makes me wish Cole was still here," I said, thinking of my favorite ginger.

"And speaking of Cole, Sebastian's mother is going to be joining us here in a week or so, which means she can take care of Delphine when you're gone in the summer," He said, grinning. I gasped, hugging him.

"Truly?" I was in shock.

"Truly. Next Saturday I'll work an extra hour so you can let Cole know after you're done tutoring," He said, kissing my forehead. I smiled, hugging him tighter.

He smiled, rubbing my back and getting up.

I went into the kitchen, but I overheard Anne's conversation with Miss Stacy.

"I'm going to miss being under your wing when I'm at queens."

I watched them embrace, and jealousy took me.

I swallowed, leaving the kitchen, and heading out the front door, needing some peace and quiet.

I walked out in the woods, sighing.

"(Y/N)."

I stopped, turning back. She approached me, and I looked away.

"Too many people?" She asked, walking beside me.

"No," I replied.

"Then why the need for sudden fresh air?" She questioned.

"You hugged Anne," I responded, quickly speeding up my walk, glad I'd worn pants so I could go faster.

I felt a tug at my wrist, and she pulled me back.

"Are you- are you jealous?" She asked, laughing slightly.

I felt tears slip as my face heated in embarrassment.

I tried to pull away from her, but she grabbed my other wrist, pulling me in.

She embraced me, and I wanted to be upset, but I melted into her arms. I hesitated a moment, but gave in, letting my hands meet the back of her shirt.

"(Y/N) you must know by now that you're my favorite student," she whispered.

I did not say anything, besides all the thoughts rushing through my mind.

"Anne is much like a daughter to me, and I enjoy being her guide in life. But you? You need no guiding. You've got things figured out perfectly. You're much more of an adult than your classmates," she explained, stepping back.

I swallowed.

"Anne is my student. You're- to me you're-" she hesitated, and I stared into her eyes.

"Much more like a... good, good friend," she whispered.

Was she insinuating what I thought she was?

"Muriel..."

"We should get back. I don't want to leave your classmates alone in my house for too long. I'd like to actually have a house to come back to," she said, and I laughed.

As we walked back, her hand slipped into mine.

I stopped her in front of the door.

She turned, and I raised her hand to my lips, placing a gentle kiss at her palm. She smiled, and we went inside.

We continued to celebrate, but if only we knew what was happening at the school that very night.