Chapter 5: The World At Your Feet

The door was slammed open, and I jumped, sighing and putting the bookmark in my book.

"Anne? Is everything ok?" I asked.

"YES! Everything is more than ok! The new teacher is a woman! She wears pants! She rides a motorbike!" She gushed. I raised an eyebrow, smiling.

"Oh? So I take it she's better than Mr. Phillips?" I joked. Anne completely missed the joke, per usual.

"OF COURSE SHES BETTER THAN HIM! I mean, anybody is better than him but oh god never in a million years did I dream it would be someone like her," she said, hugging herself.

"Well, I'm excited to meet this new teacher then," I said, hoping she'd hurry up and go home already.

"She is who I aspire to be, and I'm going to everything and anything to make her like me," she said, sitting on my bed, a determined tone.

'Jeez, that'll go great' I thought to myself.

"Mm, well could you please let me study? Go tell Gilbert or something, I'm sure he'd love to hear," I mumbled. She laughed, shaking her head.

"Oh, please, as if. By the way, do you know if Cole's coming back?" She asked.

I shot out of my chair.

Cole.

I immediately grabbed my sweater, running downstairs.

"(Y/N)? What's wrong?" She asked, following after me.

"Go home, Anne. There's something I've got to do. Tell Marilla I say hi, ok?" I said. She nodded, standing there alone as I ran.

"(Y/N)? (Y/N) what's wrong?" Gil asked, running next to me. I slowed down.

"I need to- talk to Cole. By the way... Anne's here if you wanna go say hi," I said, catching my breath. He nodded, patting my back and heading towards the house.

I continued to run, finally making it to the Mackenzie farm and seeing him outside, plowing.

"Cole!"

He looked up, looking around before joining me.

"What? It's a Sunday, what do you need?" He asked.

"The new teacher- there's a new teacher, and it's a woman. Anne was gushing all about her. Please tell me you'll come back now?" I said, cupping his cheek.

"I- I can't (Y/N), I'm sorry," he said softly.

"Please Cole I beg you," I said softly, a tear slipping down my cheek.

"I- I'll think about it," he said softly. I squealed, hugging him as he laughed.

"Now go, if my folks see me slacking off I'm dead," he said, and I laughed, waving and heading back.

Hopefully, whoever this new mystery woman was, would convince Cole to come back.

Mystery woman indeed.

—————

"Are you excited to meet the new teacher?" Gil asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Not really, but I'm sure Anne is," I said, and he laughed.

"Why not? Isn't it exciting that we're going to get a female teacher?" He said. I shrugged.

"I mean yeah it's nice and all, but teachers are teachers. We're probably just going to do the same thing we've always done, read books and do math," I said, shrugging. He laughed, and we walked up to the building.