Chapter 26: Visitor in the Parlor

I sighed, not expecting mail from anyone besides Gilbert. His letters had gotten longer as he made more and more friends. Of course he fit in perfectly. Everyone loved him.

"(Y/N)! (Y/N)! You have a letter from Miss Stacy!" Diana said, bursting in. I turned back, and she handed me two letters, one from Gil and the other from Muriel.

"Thanks, Diana," I said, smiling at her as she ran out.

I looked over at Josie, who was busy reading a book.

I opened the letter, reading it from the top in her perfectly created handwriting.

Dearest, (Y/N)

I must apologize for how long this has taken. I've gone through several drafts of a letter and none have met my expectations thus far. Otherwise I might've sent this to you much sooner.

I can only hope that you're enjoying your classes and teachers at Queens, I'm sure you've been excelling, because I know how your mind works.

I have intention to come visit you soon, if I'm able. Rachel Lynde has begun to send suitors again, unfortunately. I wish there was a way I could convince her that I'm truly not interested in marrying. Not if it would be anybody besides you.

My heart still soars when I recall that Friday afternoon. You tasted so sweet.

I miss you, my dearest (Y/N). I hope to see you soon. In the meantime, I only have one request.

Please burn these letters.

I paused. What?

Burn them so that nobody may find them. It's unfortunate, I'm aware, but necessary, I believe.

Until then, I miss you, and please keep me updated about your time at Queens. I'm sure you already have lots of fascinating stories to tell.

Yours,

Muriel.

I smiled to myself at the way she signed it. Anne had gotten Miss Stacy. But she was my Muriel, wasn't she?

"Do you have any matches?" I asked. Josie gave me a strange look.

"Uhm, no?" She said, going back to reading.

I'd need to take Cole with me to buy a lighter this weekend.

Until then, I'd just rip them.

I ripped it several times, and Josie raised an eyebrow.

"Why are you ripping the letter?" She asked.

"That was from Gilbert, he's just being a brat," I lied. She laughed, shaking her head and going back to reading.

I sighed, sitting on my bed and wishing I didn't have to rip it. Oh well. At least Muriel was thinking of me.

—————

"Ladies, there's a visitor in the parlor."

We all turned to look at Mrs. Blackmore, who stood in the doorway. We were all gathered in Anne and Diana's bedroom, talking since it was a Saturday.

We all looked between each other.

"For who?"

"For all of you," she said with a smile.

"Do you think it's a suitor?" Ruby whispered. Diana shook her head, confused as we all got up, following Mrs. Blackmore downstairs.

It was her hair that I saw first.