Chapter 21: No Printing Press Metal

I stood there, wide eyed.

Gil took my hand in his.

No one else had showed up yet.

The school was burnt down.

Just a pile of burnt wood was left.

Miss Stacy arrived on her motorbike, and went wide eyed at the scene.

She moved beside me.

"How could- how-" I stuttered, my mind racing with millions of questions.

He fingertips touched the inside of my hand for a moment, gently brushing her shoulder against mine before walking around to examine it.

"Bell... stove.. no printing press metal," she said.

"A printing press doesn't just walk away by itself," Gil said, shaking his head.

The rest of our classmates joined us, just as shocked as we were.

"The fire in the stove wasn't lit."

"There wasn't any lightning how could it have-"

"Ask whoever took the printing press because it's not here," Anne said, swallowing.

"What?"

"Taken?"

"Someone did this on purpose?"

"Wouldn't surprise me," Josie said, her arms crossed.

I suddenly noticed Miss Stacy.

"Miss Stacy, be careful, the wood could still be hot," I whispered, grabbing her wrist to pull her back.

"I'll be fine. I want to inspect it, please," she said softly. I nodded, looking down and letting her step through the burnt wood.

"But who would do this?"

"Those who didn't like being challenged."

"We have to do something, they can't get away with this!"

"We did something, and this was the result!"

"It's all my fault," Anne said softly.

"This is not Anne's fault. Nor any of yours. This is the fault of small minds. We don't know what happened, and we may never. But we cannot let it knock us down or silence us. Yes, this is a vile, spineless act, but it's proof that we made an impact, kudos to you. Queens exams are on the horizon, now is the time to focus on your futures, and not on this act of.. cowardice!" She said, clenching her firsts. She wanted to cry, everyone could see it.

But I was the one who cared the most.

Everyone nodded, heading home for the day.

Gilbert nodded at me, heading off. I walked through the ruble, taking Miss Stacy in my arms.

"Muriel..." I whispered.

She sobbed out, clutching me. I rubbed her back, and she buried her face in my shoulder.

"How could someone- how could someone burn down a school? Who could possibly hate the idea of feminism so much that they would treat children like this?" She said, stepping back and looking at all of it, more tears dripping.

"Please, let's get you home ok?" I said, and she sighed, nodding.

We walked back, and I walked her bike, waiting for her to say something.

"I hate this town with every inch of my being," she finally spoke, and I looked over at her.

"Then why stay?" I questioned. Part of me was curious to hear her answer.