Chapter 3: Aunt Josephine

I giggled as the four of us ran up the steps of Aunt Jo's house.
We were welcomed in, and she began showing us around.
"This will be the scene of the crime," she said, smiling at me as we walked into the ballroom.
I gasped, having never so many flowers in all of my life.
"Oh wow," I whispered, doing a spin to observe the hall completely.
A man was tuning the piano, and I watched carefully, in awe of everything that was happening.
"You four best get upstairs and get some supper. After that, off to bed. Tomorrow is a big day!" She said, and we all nodded, racing upstairs, eager to eat after the long journey.
When we were finished with dinner we all went to our rooms. Diana and Anne decided to share, and I let Cole stay with me.
"I can't wait for tomorrow," I said, turning over to look at him. He sat up in his bed, nodding.
"Yeah, me too. Part of me wishes I could stay in this place forever," he said, chuckling.
"Me too. I might have to write to Gilbert, tell him I'm sorry but I need to live my life to its full potential," I said, grinning. He laughed, laying back down.
"Do you think that- that Aunt Jo and Gertrude were really just friends?" He asked.
"What are you implying?" I asked, wanting to be sure that I understood him.
"Well I don't know. They just- kind of- do you think they were in love? As more than friends," he clarified.
I thought on it for a moment.
"I'm not going to assume, but the way Aunt Jo talks about her might- well she sort of implies it. We could always ask her," I said, shrugging.
"But do you see anything wrong with it?" He asked. I paused.
"I- I don't know. Even I don't necessarily agree with it, if she made Aunt Jo happy then good for them. It's not my business who anybody decides to love," I said, sighing.
"(Y/N)?"
"Hm?"
"When you say-  when you say you don't agree with it what do you-"
"I don't have anything against it, I guess I just don't see the point. Two males or two females can't have children, so naturally I don't understand it. Isn't our job as humans to reproduce?" I questioned.
"So you don't have anything against those kinds of people, you just- don't understand it?" He tried to confirm.
"Yeah, exactly. But if you love who you love then I really don't mind. It's not my life," I said, shrugging.
There was silence.
"Why?"
"No reason," he replied quickly.
I furrowed my eyebrows.
I didn't want to assume, but I had a feeling.
Of course, that was for him to tell me whenever he was ready.
But when he was, I'd be supportive.
What I didn't know, or expect however, was to find myself experiencing these "unnatural" feelings, only a few months later.
—————
"God, I wish I had something," Cole said, sighing and sitting down on the chair in the guest room. I smiled to myself.
"Lucky for you, you and Gilbert are about the same size," I said, handing him a suit. He raised his eyebrows in surprise, but we both changed into our outfits.
"Isn't this a bit immodest? Since you're a girl and all," he said, watching me undress.
"Probably, but nobody else has to know," I joked, winking at him. He chuckled, helping me lace the back of my dress.

"You look lovely, (Y/N)," he said as we looked in the mirror

"Thank you. You look handsome," I said, turning back to look at him.
For a moment I thought he was going to kiss me, but I then realized that it was a much different look.
"Cole, what's wrong?" I asked softly, cupping his cheek.
He embraced me, burying his face in my neck.
"Thank you so much, for being my truest friend. I know Anne and Diana and all of them are my friends too, but none of them understand me like you do," he said, sighing. I rubbed his back.
"Of course, Cole. You understand me just as much as I understand you," I said, and he smiled, pulling away.
"Sorry, I think I messed up your dress," he stuttered. I giggled, brushing it out.
"Nope, it's fine now," I reassured.
We walked arm and arm downstairs, and Aunt Jo smiled when she saw both of us.
"Aw, you two look lovely. Are Diana and Anne still asleep?" She questioned.
"Yep. They probably stayed up all night talking," I joked. She laughed, and I smiled.
"Actually, she came to me last night. Wanted to know what to expect. I assume she was nervous. She asked to borrow one of Gertrude's books," she explained, gripping her cane.
"Well- Aunt Jo we actually had a question about Gertrude," Cole said softly.
"Yes? What about her?" She welcomed the question.
"Well uh, we were just- you and her- did you- are you- uh- like a husband and a wife?" I stuttered out.
"Yes. We were. I hope I haven't disappointed you in that," she said, smiling solemnly.
"Oh not at all Aunt Jo we just- well we wanted to be sure," Cole said, and we both smiled at her. She gave both of our hands a squeeze, and the other two girls suddenly descended from upstairs.
"Well! Good morning you two. I thought you were going to miss the party!" She exclaimed and Anne laughed.
"I wouldn't miss it for the world," she said, dressed in her fancy blue dress.
"(Y/N) you look lovely," Diana complimented. I felt heat rise to my cheeks.
"Thank you," I choked out, "you do too."
She smiled, and suddenly guests from what seemed like every corner of the globe began to arrive. Diana's eyes lit up at the sight of her favorite pianist.
Cole gazed at a man wearing makeup, and I smiled, imaging that he was forming a bit of a crush.
"Do you see her?" He whispered. I averted my gaze to a striking woman in a top hat and a suit.
"She's beautiful," I commented, seeing her smile in a conversation with somebody.
"There are... so many people here I could've never even imagined. It feels like for once I'm not the strangest person in the room. That maybe collectively we're all so strange that the strange people are the normal ones," he said, sighing.
"We should go get flower crowns," I said, noticing the bright display on everyone's head.
He nodded, and when we found some we placed them on each other's hair, smiling and laughing.
"I feel so normal that I almost wish I had a flair to stand out," I said, noticing all the different patterns of clothes and the different styles.
"I think we both have enough of that. Although, perhaps you could paint something," he suggested, and I immediately shook my head.
"I'm not nearly good enough to paint something like this. I'm afraid I wouldn't do it justice," I said, observing the room.
"Perhaps. But you should use your gift. I'd be using mine if I still could," he said. I nodded, observing the details in the decor.
"I admit, this is sort of an artists paradise," I smiled, and we both averted our attention as we heard the keys of the piano start up.
I smiled at Diana, who didn't even notice me she was so entranced.
"You know, I'm glad you came. This is fun and all but I don't think Anne and Diana would've wanted to spend the whole time hanging out with me," he whispered, grabbing my hand.
"Yeah, cuz Anne and Diana are too boring for us," I joked. He laughed, and we focused our gaze back on the piano.
She finished the piece, and the whole room burst into applause.
"I hope Diana does something like that someday," Cole said, and I nodded.
"We've all got gifts. Diana's is music, Anne's is writing, mine is painting and writing, and Cole you have endless gifts," I said, smiling at him.
"I just wish I could still draw. Or do anything at all related to art," he said, sighing.
"Well, we're in the perfect place to get some inspiration, come on," I said. He smiled, and we roamed the house arm and arm.
"See what about this? It's beautiful," I said, observing the clay woman.
"It is," he said softly, going to feel it with his hand.
"What do you think of this?" A woman asked him.
He jumped a little, startled, but nevertheless answered.
"It- it makes me feel not so alone. Like whoever made it truly understands sorrow," he said softly, not removing his eyes from it. I smiled.
"I suppose I do," she said softly.
"This is yours?" He gasped out, surprised.
She laughed softly, nodding, and he went on, complimenting her about it and explaining how he could no longer draw because of his wrist.
"Try clay. It'll strengthen your wrist, and you might even find out you like it," she said, smiling and leaving.
"See? Inspiration everywhere. Now come on, I'm hungry," I said, dragging him to grab food.
When we finished eating it had gotten a bit darker, and Aunt Jo made a small speech.
"Good evening. I'm thrilled to be among your lovely faces..." she started.
"But we feel the absence of one. And what a face it was," she smiled solemnly.
I felt Cole hold my hand, and I smiled, leaning into him.
"I still recall it, peering over my shoulder. Reading over my shoulder! No care for decorum. That's how we met. A bookshop in Paris. A woman introduces herself as Gertrude and tells me I do not want to purchase the book I'm perusing as it's impossibly bleak and in the end the protagonist is murdered!
I had to start hiding what I was reading so she wouldn't spoil the endings!" She exclaimed, and everyone laughed.
"She also attempted to bleed me dry. Spending all my money on the arts! And look what I'm left with. A room full of the most wonderful friends," she said, and everyone clapped.
"To Gertrude. May she be reading over all of our shoulders for eternity," she said, and everyone raised their glasses.
"To the most wonderful couple. My romantic ideal. To Gertie and Jo," the woman from earlier said. Cole and I smiled, raising our drinks as well.
"And now, to give a recitation in Gertrudes stead, please welcome Anne Shirley Cuthbert," she said, and Anne stepped up, opening the book.
"Now I remember that the real world was wide, and that a varied field of hopes and fears, of sensations and excitements, awaited those who had the courage to go forth," she read.
"Into its expanse. To seek real knowledge of life, amidst it's perils."
We all clapped, and she nodded.
"Let's go check on Aunt Jo," Cole said softly.
"You go, I'll give you guys some space," I said knowingly. He thanked me, leaving to find her.
The hall cleared out, and people paired up, dancing together.
I sighed, wishing I might be older, wishing a handsome young gentleman would come ask me to dance.
I saw Cole and Aunt Josephine come in together, waltzing. I smiled, watching her whisper something to him.
"Are you sure?" He replied. She nodded, sending him off.
"She told me to come dance with you instead," he whispered, and I giggled.
"Is that a complaint Cole Mackenzie?" I challenged. He laughed, shaking his head.
"No, no not at all," he said, kissing my hand and escorting me to the dance floor.
I placed one hand on his shoulder, and the other in his hand. He smiled, and we danced along with everyone else, enjoying the music.
"Cole, I'm not going to pretend. You're like Aunt Jo, aren't you? That's why you were asking me what I thought last night," I said softly as the pace slowed down. He looked away.
"I just- I don't know, (Y/N). I think I am, but I've also had crushes on girls, but with guys I just-" he sighed, shaking his head.
I pulled him to the side so we wouldn't get in peoples ways, and I embraced him.
"It's ok, Cole. I understand. Whenever you figure it out, let me know. Because no matter what I'll still be your best friend," I said, cupping his cheek. He nodded.
"I just- I thought you didn't understand it?" He said, frowning.
"Well it's different for guys. You can still get a job, you can still make money. If I don't marry a wealthy man I'm worth nothing," I said softly.
"I guess that's true. I guess Aunt Jo is lucky she's wealthy," he said, sighing and looking back into my eyes.
"Yeah, she is," I trailed off.
"Wait- are you-"
"What! No! Nononono... I'm not- no, I'm not. But I'm just saying for the women who are, it just doesn't make sense to me. Well, it doesn't make sense no matter what. I know it's not anybody's fault, you love who you love I suppose, but I just figured romantic attraction was because you wanted to create life, to have kids together. To reproduce," I rambled.
"I guess I understand that. If I had a choice I'd rather pick women. You all make it so easy," he said, and I laughed, raising a confused eyebrow.
"What do you mean make it so easy?" I said, still giggling.
"Well, you all look so beautiful, and you're all so compassionate and caring. Men only care about themselves. Think about it this way. That would be like choosing Billy Andrews over you," he said, and we laughed even more.
"Well, I'd consider myself flattered but I'm pretty sure everyone is more desirable than Billy Andrews," I said, brushing off my dress. He smiled, and we both went back to our room, drained because it was nearly midnight.
"I think this is the most fun I've had in my whole life," Cole said, smiling.
"Well, I'd tell you to get out more but I agree. Today was amazing," I said, removing my shoes.
"I'm surprised Gilbert just let you come here unchaperoned," Cole said, removing his loafers.
"He probably figures I'm old enough. Plus, he's not usually like this. He's just busy this time of year. He would've come himself if he wasn't. In a way it's nice, knowing he trusts me and all. In all fairness he probably feels bad. He left his younger sister for a whole year, for him to come back and start bossing her around would be kind of unfair," I said, letting my hair down and brushing it out.
"Yeah, I suppose. Either way, this doesn't really seem like Gilbert's type of party. Although, maybe he'd spend the whole time gawking over how pretty Anne looked," he pointed out. I laughed, and he got up, helping me undo the laces on my dress.
"Thank you. But yes, he definitely would be. I hate watching them flirt, it's annoying, but as much as I hate it part of me is rooting for them. Anne isn't the worst person I could have as my sister in law," I said, sighing and looking in the mirror.
"(Y/N)?"
"Yeah?"
"I know this is unlikely, seen as you're you, but if you for some reason never get married, wanna marry each other?" He proposed.
"Well yes but I'm only accepting if you propose like a true gentleman and ask Gilbert for my hand," I said, and he laughed. We both smiled, undressing and heading to bed.
"Thanks for coming with us, Cole. You really pulled this whole stunt together," I said, glad Anne and Diana were able to come too.
"Of course. Anything's better than working on that stupid farm," he said, sighing.
I reached over, turning on the lamp.
"Wanna have a pillow fight?"
"Oh you're on!"
I screamed, and we both began launching our pillows at each other, blocking and hitting each other when we could.
I collapsed, breathless and tired. We laughed, looking over at each other.
"God, I wish we didn't have school on Monday," I complained, going back to my bed and sighing.
"Me too. Maybe it would be tolerable if my teacher didn't absolutely hate me. And if Billy Andrews wasn't such an ass," he said, and I gasped, laughing at how blatantly he said it.
"Well that's a first, Cole Mackenzie swearing, I'll be damned," I said, joining in on the fun. We both laughed, finally heading to bed and turning out the lights.
What a wonderful day.