Chapter 4: Karma

I hurried down from my room, wearing a simpler dress than usual.

I paused, watching as Gil slammed the door, and Bash fell down in pain

"Did he just take your tooth out?" I asked, wincing in discomfort as Bash chuckled.

"Fortunately. It's been bothering me for too long," he said, shaking his head.

I rolled my eyes.

"Gil we should be getting to school, come on," I said, grabbing our bags. He nodded, and we both slipped on coats, waving to Bash and heading out.

"Can't believe Prissy is really going to marry that idiot," I groaned, wondering what our lesson would be today.

"That makes two of us. (Y/N) promise me one thing, I don't care who on this earth you marry, rich or poor, as long as it isn't somebody as annoying as Mr. Phillips," he said, shaking his head. I laughed.

"I promise, I won't marry someone as annoying as Mr. Phillips."

I gave his hand a squeeze, and he smiled.

"Gosh, I can't believe you've grown up so fast. Feels like just yesterday that you were only this tall," he said, extending his arm to show how tall I used to be.

"You say that as if you're not only a year older than me," I said, smacking his arm down. He laughed.

"I'm just saying. You're a lot more mature now. Admittedly it's weird coming back after a year and seeing half of our class swoon over you," he said, shaking his head.

"Now imagine how I feel," I rolled my eyes. He chuckled, raising an eyebrow.

"What's that supposed to mean? The only person who likes me is Ruby," he said unknowingly. I giggled.

"Oh Gilby, you truly are oblivious," I declared dramatically.

"What? And stop calling me that, it was bad enough when you said it in front of Anne," he mumbled.

"So you care what she thinks then?" I teased.

"No, it's just an embarrassing nickname," he argued. I shook my head, and we headed into the school.

The girls were discussing Prissy's wedding per usual. Not that I had anything against Prissy, but I wasn't particularly interested.

"Anybody sitting here?" I asked Cole, motioning to the desk next to him.

"It's free, but I'll give you a fair warning. Mr. Phillips might call you a boy," he said.

"Eh, I think I can handle that from an effeminate man with a mustache," I teased. We both laughed loudly, resulting in stares.

"I should put the last of the wood in," he said, sighing and kneeling in front of the fire.

He grabbed the spare log, tossing it in before being shoved to the floor by Billy. I glared, getting up and smacking him hard across the face.