Chapter 8: Rachel Lynde, Per Usual

I sighed, taking a look at the take notice board.
Charlie kissed (Y/N) during spin the bottle.
I think (Y/N) is the most beautiful girl in our class
(Y/N)'s laugh sounds like a beautiful piano
I scoffed at some of them. My laugh? A beautiful piano? Someone needed to get their ears checked.
Of course, I'd been right, over the weekend at least 20 posts had been added. It made sense, everyone in our class was old enough now, but I couldn't imagine marrying any of my classmates.
The girls giggled, and the guys winked at most of them. I noticed a few give me glances, but I paid no mind.
"(Y/N), are you going to add anything?" Josie asked.
"No, I don't think I will. The person I like will know privately. It's nobody else's business," I said sweetly, and she rolled her eyes, wishing she could spread some form of gossip.
Though, I didn't like anyone, but she didn't have to know that.
I went into the school building, hanging up my stuff and seeing Miss Stacy setting up a lesson.
"What are we doing today?" I asked, seen as I was the only one inside.
"Ah, (Y/N). I'd like to do something art related today. I need to relax my mind," she said, shaking her head.
"Is something wrong?" I asked, and she sighed, turning back and giving me a puzzled look.
"Well- naturally you know who Rachel Lynde is. She seems- well she's set on finding me a suitor. This isn't any of your business, but I figured you might have an idea on how to make her stop," she said, sighing and crossing her arms.
I felt my heart sink, but I grinned.
"It's Rachel Lynde. You're better off leaving Avonlea all together. Or maybe Canada at that," I grumbled, and she laughed.
"Duly noted. And by the way, where is everyone?" She asked, noticing only two more students had come in.
"Oh they're all outside, looking at the uh, take notice board," I said, sitting down at my desk. She raised her eyebrows.
"Take notice?"
"A board where everyone just writes notes about their crush," I explained. She nodded, looking outside.
"As much as I appreciate romance, it must not stand in the way of education!" She declared, marching outside and calling everyone in.
I got up, looking out the window and seeing her observe all the notes. She read one and her face sunk, as if contemplating for a moment. Of course, then she came back inside.
We all sat down, and she gave us instructions.
"And while I do know art is not technically part of the curriculum, you've all worked very hard lately, and I figured you deserved it. So please, drawing, writing, any form of expression will make do. And, If you can refrain from yelling, talking will be allowed too," she said, and everyone smiled, grabbing out stuff to work with.
I wasn't sure what I wanted to draw, so I looked around the room for inspiration. Sure enough I found it.
I grabbed my chalkboard, along with my chalk, carefully drawing and blending lines how I wanted to.
I looked up every few seconds, admiring and appreciating features, drawing them in.
"Who are you drawing?" Ruby asked, seeing the outline of a face.
"I'll tell you if you can guess," I said, and I added two strokes of hair, and she furrowed her eyebrows.
I drew the outline of the eyes, and then the lips.
"Is that Miss Stacy?" She asked. I smiled, nodding. Her eyes went wide.
"Wow. You're even better than Cole was," she said, and I smiled, thanking her.
"Thank you. I enjoy drawing almost as much as he does," I said, looking back up at Miss Stacy and observing her neatly done hair. I drew the lines, shading It and blending before adding each individual strand.
I followed with her neck, adding the ruffles of her shirt, and the vest she was wearing. I drew the tie, and I smiled to myself.
I did her nose as an outline, continuing to glance and take in her features.
Next her eyes, and I added soft freckles beneath them.
I moved to her lips. I felt my eyes focus on her lips as I did, noticing the gentle way they parted, and as she smiled I felt butterflies consume me.
I etched her lips, and moved to shading her whole face. When I was done my hands were covered in chalk, but she looked beautiful.
I thought back to what Cole said. My heart felt like it was about to explode. I ignored the thought as a paper airplane shot through the class. I looked at it, watching it land on the ground.
"Who wants to learn?"
We all looked up at Miss Stacy, smiling and raising our hands.
"You fold the paper like this," she said, showing us. We all followed along. I didn't bother. I was too concentrated on her.
Soon there was paper flying around everywhere in the room, and she smiled at the sight.
The day dragged on, and when it was time for us to go home I debated cleaning my drawing off, but I decided against it.
I waited until everyone had gone, and I told Gilbert I'd meet him outside.
Miss Stacy came out of the closet, and I placed the chalkboard on her desk, rushing out.
I hoped she would like it.
—————
It was Saturday, and I was dreadfully bored. I didn't go to Charlottetown this weekend because Cole was going out with Anne, chaperoning her as she went back to the orphanage. I had written to him, told him to wish Anne luck for me. I dearly hoped she'd discover something good.
Despite her somewhat strange relationship with my brother, which seemed to go from enemies to madly in love from one second to the next, she'd gotten better. Gotten better in the sense that she'd calmed down a bit and wasn't as desperate as she'd been when Miss Stacy first arrived just more than a year ago.
I sighed, getting up from the small couch in my room, putting the book down and heading downstairs.
"(Y/N), would you mind taking these letters? I'd like to invite the Cuthbert's to an Easter event, along with the Lynde's and the Barry's," she said, handing me three letters.
I nodded, putting them down to look at Delphine.
"Hello little Dellie," I said, taking the baby in my arms and smiling down at her.
"I should put her down, god knows I could use a break," Mary said, sighing and holding her arms out.
I shook my head, cradling the child and smiling.
"I'll put her down for you, sit down, seriously," I said, and Mary gave my shoulder a grateful squeeze before doing so.
I took Delphine to the bedroom, laying her in the cradle and singing softly, smiling as she fell asleep.
I looked out the window, furrowing my eyebrows.
"Mary?"
"Yes?"
"There's a man out there."
She rushed in, looking out the window and smiling, running outside and embracing the man, yelling with joy. I wondered who it was.
They came inside, and she introduced me.
"(Y/N), this is my baby boy, Elijah," she said, kissing his cheek. He smiled.
"Nice to meet you. I've heard Mary talk about you a lot. She misses you," I said, and he chuckled.
"All good things I hope?" He questioned, and I nodded.
"Let me get you something to eat, come on," She said, showing him to the kitchen.
I followed, grabbing the letters. I'd take the horse, since it was a long distance walking.
I figured this outfit would be fine for riding, since it was just a skirt and a tucked in shirt.