Chapter 7: Spin The Bottle

It was lovely having Mary around the house now that her and Bash had gotten married. So much had happened in so little time part of me didn't even believe it, but she served as a mother to me, and I was grateful for it.
And of course, they'd had beautiful little Delphine.
Gilbert had decided he'd go on with school as usual, and I knew he wanted to stay close, because of me and because of Bash.
I also happened to know he wanted to stick around for a certain redhead.
I was sad to no longer do morning sessions with Miss Stacy, but I was happy to know I wouldn't have to lose him after finally getting him back.
I visited Cole when Gilbert helped as Dr. Wards apprentice. All was good and well.
I sighed as we arrived at school, and I raised an eyebrow, seeing all the girls crowd.
"What are you guys looking at?" I asked.
"The take notice board is active again," Josie said, and I shrugged.
I had no interest in all that nonsense. The girls just wanted gossip.
School always seemed to fly by with Miss Stacy teaching. It was only lunch that seemed to drag on forever.
Josie made us play spin the bottle again, and last time we'd done this I sat it out, unfortunately, this time I was forced in by Ruby and Diana.
"Boy girl boy girl!" She said, rearranging how we were sitting. I sighed, hating this already.
She made Diana spin first, and she gave the boy a small peck on the lips before moving to the next person.
"Anne," Josie said.
Anne spun it, panicking slightly as she did.
It landed on one of the boys, and he kissed her cheek sweetly.
She'd clearly matured in the last year, and boys had begun to like her.
Moody spun next, and it landed on Ruby. She blushed, and they shared a quick kiss. I smiled, and the bottle was handed to Charlie.
He spun, and it landed on me. Several of the other boys groaned out, jealous.
I grew nervous, as I'd never kissed anybody before. Charlie seemed to notice.
"I can spin again if you'd like," he said, and all the boys hung on, as if hoping I'd ask him to.
"No, it's fine," I said, deciding he was probably the best option in our class.
We got up, and I felt nerves build up.
His lips met mine, only for a brief second, but my heart skipped a beat. I'd never ever see Charlie that way, but it was a strange feeling to feel.
Rounds continued on, everyone kissed everyone practically, and thankfully I didn't get landed on.
Of course, my turn came soon enough.
I spun, and it landed on Billy, he laughed, smiling and raising an eyebrow at me. I knew he had a crush on me, but I still hated him for how he'd treated Cole.
He got up. I refused.
"I'll spin again," I said, and he grabbed my arm.
"That's not how it works, you don't get to spin again," he said, pulling me close to him.
"Billy I don't want to kiss you I-"
"It's the rules of the game. C'mon, you'll like it," he said, and I still continued to try and push him back.
"Billy please," I said, and everyone watched.
"(Y/N) suck it up, just kiss him!" Josie said, rolling her eyes. Fear struck me. I had no clue why. It was only a kiss, but Billy Andrews terrified me.
"Billy please! Get off of me!" I begged, crying out and trying to shove him off.
"Stop fighting me! Just kiss me already!" He yelled.
"What is going on in here?"
Everyone turned back, seeing Miss Stacy look between all of us, dressed in her green dress and white shirt.
"Nothing, Miss Stacy, it's all fine," Billy said, gripping my arms.
"Billy let go of me, you're hurting me," I cried out softly.
"Billy let her go!"
I turned.
In the time it had taken for all this to happen, someone had fetched Gilbert.
He grabbed Billy's collar, shoving him off of me.
"Hey! Chill out, it was her fault, she agreed to play the game," he defended. I backed away, and Miss Stacy observed the scene.
"Hand me that bottle. Someone hand me that bottle," she instructed, and Diana gave it to her.
"Yeah, news flash, I don't care. If my sister, or any woman for that matter, says to stop, you stop? Ok buddy?" Gil said, letting him go.
He looked back at me with sympathy.
"All of you will refrain from playing this game at school. If I find out you've done it, everyone participating will be punished," Miss Stacy said, sighing and taking the bottle back to her desk.
"Nice going, (Y/N)," Josie said, scoffing and rolling her eyes.
"(Y/N)?"
I turned to Miss Stacy, who was calling me.
"Yes?" I said, going over. She guided me to the closet.
"Are you alright?" She asked softly, noticing the wrinkles in my dress where Billy had gripped.
"I'm fine. I'm fine, thank you for asking," I said, trying not to shake. She closed the door, sighing.
"If anyone, anyone at all does that to you come straight to me, ok? It's not alright," she said, taking my hand in both of hers.
I looked up, my eyes watering as I nodded.
"T-Thank you," I stuttered.
"Oh (Y/N)."
She embraced me, and I felt hot tears slip.
"I'll talk to his parents. I will not allow such displays at school," she reassured, pulling away.
"Oh please don't, talking to them will only make room for scandal," I said, wiping my eyes. She paused, contemplating and then nodding at me with a somewhat determined look on her face.
We got back to class, and she announced lunch was over, and to get back to our desks.
Everyone groaned, but did so.
The day went by fine, and afterwards everyone left, and the queens study group stayed.
Of course, per usual, I wasn't actually reading the required reading, I had just put the other book outside of this one. And, per usual, I was reading up on American history instead.
I heard giggling, and looked around. Not a single person besides Gilbert and Anne were studying. Everyone else was writing notes for the take notice board.
I rolled my eyes.
I fixed myself in the book again, reading more about current history, law cases, etc.
Suddenly, I felt the book pulled out of my hands.
My bookmark was taken too, placed inside before the book shut.
I swallowed, looking up.
"I will thank you to study the required reading," Miss Stacy said, smiling with a small laugh before taking the book to her desk.
I looked over at it, sighing.
I guess studying for 30 minutes couldn't hurt.
Though, all the math stuff was particularly boring.
My mind wandered.
I felt my gaze move from the words on the pages to Miss Stacy's desk.
And more particularly, Miss Stacy herself.
She always looked composed, beautiful. I felt my heart pound a little.
I was so glad we no longer had Mr. Phillips, and now this angel in human form. I focused back on my studies, my mind then wandering to Cole.
I wished he were here. He would've made all these pointless days fun.
Today was a Friday, so naturally I'd get to see him tomorrow, but it was different having him in class.
Suddenly, as if in answer to my prayers, the door to the classroom opened. I turned back, and I saw Cole himself.
"Uh hello, can I help you?" Miss Stacy said. My hands shook, and I burst out of my chair, running and throwing myself into his arms.
"Cole! What are you doing here?" I whisper yelled, and he smiled, laughing.
"Coming to get you," he said, kissing my cheek. I blushed, and he smiled.
"Ok but first, come meet the new teacher," I whispered.
"(Y/N)-"
"Please?" I begged, and he sighed, nodding.
Our whole class watched him as I led him up to Miss Stacy. He was no longer the strange, quiet artist they had known. He was dressed in nicer clothes than any of them could afford.
Anne and Diana noticed him, and they got up, hugging him too.
I nearly laughed at how all of them stared.
He promised to catch up later, and they went to sit back down.
Miss Stacy got up to approach him.
"Miss Stacy, I don't know if you remember-"
"Cole, right?" She said, frowning.
"That would be me," he said, extending his hand with a smile.
"I'm sorry for going to your parents, I thought that I-"
"It's not your fault, trust me," he said softly, and she sighed, nodding.
"Uh, well I'm sorry to ask this but, could I pull (Y/N) out of class? We need to be somewhere," he said, looking over at me. I played along.
"Oh, of course. This is only study group, and she wasn't doing much studying anyways, so it doesn't matter," she said, giving me a look as she handed my book back. I smiled to myself.
I grabbed all my things, and Cole and I darted out of the classroom.
"I've missed you so much I could kiss you," I said, putting my hand in his and shaking my head.
"Then do it," he challenged. I raised an eyebrow, looking around before firmly pressing my lips to his.
We both burst out laughing, and I smiled, appreciating how stupid and careless we could be together.
"Billy tried to kiss me during spin the bottle. I'm never playing that stupid game ever again," I said, kicking the dirt.
"Yeah, I learned my lesson too," he said, and I laughed.
"So where are you taking me?" I questioned.
"Oh just back to Charlottetown, but Aunt Jo wants you to stay over a few nights so we're going to go get some of your things first," he explained.
"Does Gilbert know?" I asked, and he shrugged.
"He'll find out," He replied. We laughed, going up to the door. Mary raised an eyebrow when she saw us.
"(Y/N), where'd you find this handsome young man?" she said, laughing. He smiled.
"I'm Cole, I used to live in Avonlea. (Y/N)'s my best friend," he said, smiling over at me. I blushed, looking down.
"When Gilbert gets home, let him know I'm fine, we're just gonna be out for a few days," I said, and she gave me a look, but nodded.
I kissed little Delphine before going upstairs, packing what I needed too.
"You don't need to pack that much, Aunt Jo is giving us permission to go shopping," he said, and I sighed.
"No I feel bad, I don't wanna waste her money," I said. He grabbed my arm.
"She's the richest woman on this whole island, it'll be fine," he said. I sighed, nodding.
We headed out, getting on the train and heading to Charlottetown.
"So, you guys got Miss Stacy to stay?" He said as we took our seats.
"Yeah we did. I'm glad, she's nice," I said.
"If Billy wasn't there anymore maybe I'd- but I just like my life as it is. Art school is amazing. I wish more than anything you'd come live with Aunt Jo and I," he said, touching my hand lightly.
"You know I can't. Maybe during summer, when school isn't on, but I- I don't know. I can't leave Gil," I said.
"He left you for a whole year. Imagine a whole summer away from everything," he proposed. I thought about it.
"I'll discuss it with him, but I'm spending the school year in Avonlea. Miss Stacy is perfect, I won't give her up," I said, and he nodded.
"You really like Miss Stacy huh?" He said.
"I do. She's an inspiration and in many ways a friend," I said, recalling the various conversations we'd had.
"And you're sure you aren't like Aunt Jo?" He teased. I kicked his shin, and he laughed.
"I'm one hundred percent sure, so you can drop it. I see Miss Stacy like a mother," I said, and he raised an eyebrow as I rolled my eyes.
"If you say so. We're going to see what Aunt Josephine has to say about this," he continued. I shook my head, and he laughed.
We arrived at the station in Charlottetown, getting off and taking a carriage to Aunt Josephine's.
We arrived, and Rollings welcomed us in.
Aunt Jo got up, laughing and embracing me.
"How are you my dear?" She asked, smiling.
"She's in love," Cole teased. I playfully shoved him, and he laughed.
"Oh? In love, tell me dear, tell me," she said, sitting me down on her couch. I glared at Cole.
"I'm not in love, Cole is just being mean," I said, and he shook his head. Aunt Jo raised an eyebrow at him.
"Oh she's in love, she's also in denial because she's in love with her teacher," he teased.
"Stoppp! Cole I'm not in love with her!" I said, sighing and shaking my head.
"Oh? Your teacher is a her? Well, in that case, you have my full blessing," she said, and I groaned.
"But I'm not in love with her! I'm not in love with anyone," I said, sighing.
"Cole?" Aunt Jo questioned.
"She's definitely in love with her. You should've seen her eyes when they talked. In love with the beautiful, perfect Miss Stacy," he teased.
"Coleeee! Stop itttt!" I moaned, and he laughed.
"My my, I'd very much like to meet this Miss Stacy," Aunt Jo said, and I went red.
"But I'm not- I'm not-" I stuttered, not knowing what word to use.
"Not a homosexual?" Cole asked, finishing the sentence for me.
"Yes. I'm not like that... I don't think," I said softly.
"Does thinking about this teacher make you smile?" Aunt Jo asked, and I nodded.
"The way you looked at her, (Y/N), that's how I look at art," he said, and I shook my head again.
"Nonsense. If I do happen to fall in love with someone, man or woman, I'll be happy to let you know, but as of right now, I am perfectly fine," I said, bopping Cole's nose. He smiled.
We went into the other room, and I took a seat by the piano, playing a few notes.
"Have any requests?" I asked, doing scales to warm up.
"Play whatever you'd like," he said, and I nodded. I'd forgotten what the piece was called, but during my time with Diana's family it had been my favorite to play.
"(Y/N)?" He asked, and I paused, turning back.
"Yeah?"
"Is there anything you aren't perfect at?" He questioned, and I laughed.
"Yeah, I can't sing to save my life," I said, and he laughed too.
"Want to see the drawing room?" He asked. I nodded, and he showed me the room they'd transformed into an art room. There were sculptures, and drawings.
"My wrist has been getting better, I'm able to do all this again," he said, and I smiled, glad to see it.
"You're great at sculpting," I said, and he thanked me.
"Paint something, anything you want," he said, showing me all the different references, and the beautiful pond outside the window.
"I'll paint you," I said, and he raised an eyebrow.
I pulled out a chair, sitting him by the window.
"Have you painted a person before?" He asked as he sat down.
"I have. I'm not amazing, but I think you'll like it," I said, grabbing some paints as I observed him.
Aunt Jo joined us.
"Oh? Is Mr. Mackenzie here getting a portrait done?" She asked, and I nodded, smiling.
For the next hour or so I painted.
"We'll continue tomorrow, wanna see it?" I asked, in case he wanted to change anything. He nodded, coming to look.
"You've seriously got a gift, you know," he said, in awe of the outline.
"It's a hobby. I could never do it full time like you can," I said, and he gave a solemn look.
"What are you going to do then?" He asked, and I sighed, thinking on it.
"Maybe become an author," I said, imagining the thought of having some secret pen name and selling millions of copies.
"Well, that's certainly an option. You're lucky like that. You've got several options," he said, and I smiled, removing the apron and setting it on the chair.
"I suppose I do."
—————
"(Y/N) come look at this one!"
I hurried over, and he held the dress up.
"You'd look amazing in this one," Cole said, and I smiled, laughing and nodding.
"Ok but- three dresses max, I don't wanna spend Aunt Josephine's money," I said, and he rolled his eyes.
"We're going to spend as much as she gave me," he said, showing me the coins he'd put in a small bag. I gasped.
"No, I absolutely will not let you. Maybe on clothes for yourself, but absolutely not for me," I said, and he smiled, nodding.
"And look at this, now that you're 17. You'd look so modern in these, I bet it would impress her," he said, and I shoved him.
"Stop nagging! I already told you the truth," I said. He chuckled, but showed me the dress anyways.
He was right, I would look modern in it.

"Fine

"Fine. But that's the last one!" I said, and he conveniently pulled out another.

"Last one," he said, and I sighed, nodding

We paid for everything we'd gotten, and headed back to Aunt Jo's.
"So remind me why you invited me over? Just to spend her money or?" I questioned.
"I just missed you, is all. Is that not allowed?" He asked.
"Not if missing me includes spending all of Aunt Josephine's money," I said, and he laughed.
"She's fine with it. I got nervous about money too, and then I realized just how much she has and I stopped feeling so guilty. She tells me it's good to spend money on things we enjoy, and if we enjoy looking nice, we should spend on that," he said.
I looked out the carriage window, guessing he was right.
"Plus, I think Aunt Josephine enjoys seeing you all dressed up. I think you remind her of her," he said, and I looked over.
"I hope I end up being like Aunt Jo when I'm older. She's lovely, and makes the best out of everything," I said, smiling.
Cole grabbed my hand, and I felt everything else melt away for a moment. Including Miss Stacy.
"I miss you Cole. I miss having someone who understands me, who I can be myself with," I said, leaning on his shoulder.
"I miss you too. And if you came and lived with us, you'd find even more people who understood you," he said.
"But that's not it. I don't care as long as I have you. Maybe if Bash and Mary weren't staying with us you could, but I think Gilbert is already struggling feeding four other people," I said, and we both laughed.
"How about next weekend I go visit you? I could ride back with you and Gilbert, and we could spend the day in the country. I wouldn't mind dressing modestly again for a little bit," he said, and I raised an eyebrow.
"I miss you at school more than anything. The take notice board is active. It would've been fun to "take notice" of each other and laugh about it when nobody else was there," I said, and he chuckled.
"Though, I suspect you've already gotten quite a few notices," he said.
"I haven't checked. Everyone was writing notes the day you got me, so I'm sure on Monday morning there will be dozens more on the board. I hope my name isn't one of them," I grumbled, and he laughed.
"You should leave an anonymous one for Miss Stacy," he said.
"OH MY GOD WOULD YOU LET IT GO! I promise you, I genuinely promise, it's not like that. So stop acting like it is," I said, and he smiled again.
"I know, you're probably telling the truth, but it's funny to get you all worked up," he joked. I rolled my eyes.
We got back to the mansion, and Aunt Jo applauded as I tried the dresses on.
"You look lovely my dear. Suitors are going to line up at your door someday," She said, and I blushed.
Cole and I headed back to the art room, and I continued with his almost finished painting.
"Thank you so much for all this. I needed to get away for a little while," I said, adding finer details.
"I can't wait for summer. It'll be nice to have a friend to do stuff with," he said, and I smiled.
I wanted to say the same, but as much as I loved it here, Avonlea was my home. I missed it every time I was away. Plus, school was fun. That however, had absolutely nothing to do with Miss Stacy. And certainly nothing to do with feelings that I didn't have towards her. That was clear.