Chapter 25: College

The six of us stood at the front of the building, admiring it.

"Welcome scholars. I am Mrs. Blackmore, it is a great pleasure to welcome you to my home. Lily will assist you, but please note that she is a deaf mute, so you may not ring for her. However, she can read lips," she explained to us, and the girl besides her signed something to us with her hands.

I smiled. Perhaps she could teach me.

"And now without further ado, won't you please come in?" She said.

We all raced up the steps.

"Ah! No running!"

We all slowed into a walk, smiling and going upstairs to our rooms.

I entered mine, smiling at the warm light and couch by the window.

I took the bed closest to the window, figuring it would do good for reading light.

Suddenly, the rest of the girls burst in.

"(Y/NNNN)! Who gets to be your roommate?" Tillie asked, sitting on the couch.

I smiled.

"Who wants to be my roommate?" I asked, sitting on the bed.

"Me!"

"I want to!"

"I do!"

I giggled, looking between them all. I figured I'd get the most privacy with Josie.

"Mmmm, I chooseeeeeeee.... Josie?" I asked her. She smiled, nodding.

The rest of the girls went to go bother Anne. I laughed to myself as I unpacked.

"Why'd you choose me?" She asked, setting her case on her bed and doing the same.

"Because whether we admit it or not you're fairly level headed. I love them to death, but maybe not so much when I'm trying to sleep," I said, and she laughed, putting away her clothes.

"Plus, you were really good at helping me study during exam prep," I told her, opening up the curtain to see outside.

"I know I can be snarky sometimes, but I care about everyone. I care about my education too. I guess- especially after what happened with Billy, I just wanted to escape the idea that all I'm meant for is to be a good wife. So, college will be good for me," she said, looking over.

I nodded, sitting on my bed.

"I'm going to miss Gilbert, but I think it's important to continue on with my education. After that I can do anything I'd like," I said.

She nodded, looking at her night stand.

"Oh god. Look at these house rules," she said with a grin.

"Curfew at 9:00, lights out promptly at 10:00. Suitors may only be seen in the parlors on Saturday from 2:00-4:00," she read.

We burst out laughing.

As we went to bed that night, I sighed.

I wondered what Gilbert was up to. I wondered about Miss Stacy.

I felt strange without her. I missed seeing her every week.

I turned off my light, sighing and rolling over in my bed.

College was ahead.

And the start of a new life.

—————

I held my books awkwardly, taking a deep breath. Josie touched my shoulder as a gentle reassurance.

"It's gonna be alright," she said. I nodded.