Surprise

Timeskip: Two and a half weeks, Wednesday: 3:00 pm

(I know it's fall, but let just pretend the weather is still very warm:) )

You look at the time to see that it is now 3:00 pm, 'shit, it's almost time...' you think. You start to put up the decorations and keep checking the time every now and then. You start to bring the food out and look around to make sure everyone was there and that everything was perfect. You hear your phone ding:

Text POV:

Kenken:p

Kenken:p: we're almost there...

You: oh okay perfect, everything is set just walk through the backyard doors...

Kenken:p: k

You start to tell everyone to be quiet. You straighten your back and fix your dress and hair. You can hear footsteps. You see Kenma and then Kuroo walks in. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY KUROO!!" everyone shouts. You run to Kuroo and give him the biggest hug.

You stay in his arms for a moment to enjoy the embrace. You then look up and gently say, "Happy birthday Kuroo," 

"Chibi-chan did you do this for me?" he asks smiling down at you, as you're still in his arms.

"Yes, of course, wouldn't want my best friend's birthday to not be special!" you say gleaming at him. Because of your smile, Kuroo blushes.

"I even asked Coach if it was okay to cancel practice just for today," you tell him.

"Wow, I'm surprised you were able to manage that," he says surprised.

"Yeah it was hard to convince him at first but he said since I've been a great manager and you're such an excellent captain, that it would be okay... he also said that he would, only if I brought him some cake," you say giggling.

"Well, thank you, I appreciate it so much... you're so amazing Y/N," he says in awe. You start to blush. 

"I mean I wouldn't mind playing volleyball right now, but I guess it does feel good to have a break," he says as he takes a deep breath of fresh air still smiling. 

"Well I thought you'd say that so, that's why I thought it'd be nice to play volleyball in the pool..." you say prepared.

"You're lying?? Oh my god! how did you pull this off Y/N," he says surprised.

"My pool is heated... so even though it's starting to get a little colder, we can still swim. So go change," you say to him.

He gives you another hug and runs off to go change into his swimming shorts, dragging Kenma along with him. You and everyone else start setting up the net and grab the balls from the garage. Kuroo comes back, looking like a little child on his first day of swimming class, while Kenma just stands there with an unphased face and wearing arm floaties. 

"Awh Kenken you look so cute!!" you say taking a picture of the two.

Kuroo puts his arm around Kenma and proudly says, "I know! I did that,"

"I hate you both..." he says quietly.

"Well I think you look good," Hinata says grabbing Kenma's chin and kissing his cheek. Kenma blushes and the two head to the pool.

"What about you? you're not wearing a bathing suit chibi-chan..." Kuroo says frowning as he approaches you.

Usually, when he calls you that, you start to blush, but it only makes you confident. You smirk at him and say, "Oh I do have one,". You stand in front of him for a few seconds, until you start to take your dress off in front of him revealing your two-piece bikini.

Kuroo's smile fades into a blank face with wide eyes just staring at you. You hear him gulp and you start to see him blush, "I- Chibi-chan, you-..." he struggles to get his words out. 

You smile at him innocently and walk closer to him, which only makes his heart race faster. "Come on birthday boy, don't tell me you're getting shy on me," you say playfully as you let your hand travel from his neck down to his chest. 

Kuroo realizes what you're doing. He snaps out of it and smirks, telling you he's gained back his confidence. He stands up straight, looks down at you, and says, "No, of course not chibi-chan we're only getting started," he says pulling you closer. You blush. His sudden confidence took you off guard, so the only thing you could think of doing in that moment... was to push him into the pool. But before he could hit the water, he hugs you tight bringing you along with him. You both stand up and laugh, starting to playfully splash water at each other. 

"Oh my gosh! get a room!" Oikawa says.

"Yeah and be loud so that we can actually hear something this time," Bokuto says complaining.

"What the hell is wrong with you people?" Suga says disgustedly. 

"Okay, are we going to play volleyball or not?" Kageyama asks.

So you guys did. You played volleyball, splashed around, and had, what you'd say, was one of the best times of your life. You look at the time and noticed that it was almost time for the cake. You make an excuse to go to the washroom, so you could actually get the cake. 

a few minutes later, you slowly walk outside holding the cake covering it, so the candles and sparklers don't blow out. You start to sing happy birthday and so does everyone else once they realized you were singing. You make your way to the table with the snacks and gifts and place the cake down carefully. Kuroo gets out of the pool and makes his way to the table. Everyone gathers around and watches the birthday boy. You look around to see everyone who came: Bokuto and Akaashi, Oikawa and Iwazumi, the Karasuno boys, the Nekoma boys, including Alisa because why not? Plus she wasn't someone you worried about tonight and it felt really nice... and because of that, you think to yourself that maybe you and Kuroo can be together. Kuroo. You glance over to see the birthday boy smiling at his cake. His face glows because of the sparklers, which only make it feel like time has stopped. Like everything was in slow motion. It was perfect, you felt like nothing could warm your heart more than seeing Kuroo happy. You smile, feeling warm inside... you just know, looking at this moment, you want to bottle it and keep it forever.

Surely enough, the party started to end. After all, it was still a school night. People started to leave and you thanked everyone for coming. As you stand by the backyard door, you notice that Hinata and Kenma were arguing on the sidewalk. You started to worry, but it was still Kuroo's night so you thought you'd ask later. Once you notice everyone was gone, you turn to go back into the backyard. You start to pick up garbage on the floor and grab cups. You stand up straight to walk towards the pool, but you stop and stare. You drop the garbage bag and watch the scene in front of you. You start to feel tears in your eyes and a lump in your throat. Kuroo... Alisa... kissing... You couldn't believe what you were seeing. It pained you so much you just ran out the door. Kuroo pulled away from Alisa, noticed you run, and started to run after you. 

"Y/N wait! It's not what you think, please let me explain," he says finally grabbing your arm before you could go any further. He lets you go knowing you won't run away again. 

Before turning around you wipe your tears. You then put a weak smile on, turn around, and say, "No you don't have to explain," you wanted to continue but you just couldn't do so without feeling the need to cry more, "Happy birthday Kuroo," you say trying to smile but it sounds discouraging. You turn back around and walk through the front door of your house. Kuroo watches you and sees you close the door. He lets his head hang low, feeling so ashamed of himself. 'You should've said stop before she got closer! Why didn't you just walk away?! why are you so stupid!?' Kuroo thinks to himself. Tears start to run down his face as he stands in front of your house, alone.

-End of Chapter 19-