Baby Steps

Sunday 7:30 pm

Kuroo and you finished up at the dumpling shop and took home the extra dumplings. The car ride was different from the rest. Ever since you realized you didn't know what you guys were, you started to overthink. You know it couldn't be as worse as it was before but you still don't know where you stand in his life... are you his girlfriend? Does he want a relationship or is this just a no-label type thing? In the car, no music was playing and your whole body was shifted to the car door. You look out the window and you try to act normally which seems to be working because Kuroo doesn't seem to notice. Either way, you don't want to ruin the day because it was just too perfect to blow it all over... but you will ask him because, over the course of a few months and everything that's happened with Kuroo, you're not going to let yourself suffer in silence again because you know what you deserve.

Kuroo didn't tell you where you guys were going but it looked like you guys started to head back home. You decide to scroll through your phone to pass time and to gain a little bit more energy just in case Kuroo had anything else planned. You can feel the car stop and you look up from your phone. You're at the beach, the same one you guys went to back in the summertime.

"Come on, chibi-chan, this is our last stop..." Kuroo says getting out of the car.

You've been to this beach multiple times growing up and it always looked the same to you but this time you just knew the moment you stepped on the sand it would feel like entering a whole new world. 

Kuroo opens the door for you like always and says "I hope you're not too full to go on a walk with me?"

"With you, I'm ready for anything," you say smiling at him.

He blushes and helps you out of the car. You guys make your way down to the beach and take off your shoes so you didn't get sand in them. And just like in a cheesy rom-com, you guys walk across the shoreline and talk about whatever came to mind. Kuroo holds your hand and stops walking. your turn around and face him. As you turn around, the breeze blows your hair out of your face and you can faintly smell Kuroo's cologne. Every single time you smell him, it makes you feel warm inside, you close your eyes and smile. The sun is setting and gives you this perfect glow.

"You're so beautiful, you know that chibi-chan?" Kuroo says just admiring you.

you don't really know what to say you just give him a big smile.

He chuckles. "I'm serious, I feel like you already know it and I don't say it often, but the truth is I think it all the time, I just never say it out loud because- ...you know... that would be weird behavior between friends..." he says embarrassed trying to laugh it off as he scratches his head.

There it is again, that word... friends. 

"You think I'm beautiful?" you say shocked.

"Chibi-chan, you're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. And I'm not just talking about your looks, you're such a good person and everything about you is beautiful. I'm literally getting so frustrated right now because I don't know how to find the words to tell you how much I appreciate you. Because..." he pauses. Kuroo looks at you deep in the eyes and lets out a deep breath, "because I love you Chibi-chan,"

You want to say it back so badly. but you just know if you do, it'll leave you wondering again and you just can't do that again.

"Kuroo what are we?" you ask quickly and scared it'll hurt his feelings considering you didn't say it back.

But he's not sad. If anything he gives you a bigger smile, " Oh Chibi-chan, I told you not to ask questions yet... but it's okay that's the one question I was hoping you'd save until now,"

"Huh?" you tilt your head in confusion.

"The whole reason I brought you out today was that I wanted to take you out and let you have a good day and then my plan was to bring you out to the beach to watch the sunset and ask you this one question I've been holding in since the first grade... It's also why I was at your house this morning, I was asking your parents for their permission..." Kuroo says as he steps closer to you.

You can feel your cheeks burn and a knot tie in your stomach. "Uh, w-what's the q-question?" you ask really trying your best to compose yourself as he gets closer.

he takes a moment and takes a deep breath. He lets it out and smiles. He looks at you in the eyes and says "Y/N, will you be my girlfriend?"

You can't believe it's actually happening. 2nd-grade Y/N would never believe that this moment would actually happen. You replay his words in your head one more time before a smile grows on your face and you leap into his arms, hugging him. Kuroo is shocked by your reaction and it takes him a few seconds to hug you back. He nuzzles his head into your shoulder and hides his face so no one sees his blush. He hugs you tighter and slightly lifts you off the ground. You hold on to him a little longer as you have a big smile plastered across your face. It hurts your cheeks but it's worth it.

You wish you could stay like this forever but you suddenly feel Kuroo pull away, still holding you. "Wait- so is that a yes??" he asks with slight worry.

"Yes! of course, yes Kuroo!" you say laughing. "I love you too."

He smiles back at you and you pull him by his collar and kiss him. Without hesitation, he kisses you back. He holds you closer to his body and continues to kiss you. You can tell by his grip, he doesn't want to let you go.

You never want this to end you literally feel like a weight has been lifted and the world has stopped moving. Your life has just changed and you don't regret a thing.

Kuroo suddenly pulls away from the kiss. You slightly frown. "I lied," he says catching his breath.

"what?" you're confused and slightly worried this was all just a joke.

"I lied when I said I've been holding in asking you to be my girlfriend since the first grade.." he pauses and just looks at you.

You don't say anything just waiting for him to continue. "I actually wanted to ask you to marry me in the first grade but I figured I can wait a little longer," he says with a big smile.

You laugh and let out the air you were holding in. "Don't worry Kuroo..." you hold his chin up with your index finger and smirk, "one day... baby steps."

Kuroo looks at you like you're the answer to all his problems. He blushes.

-End of Chapter 26-