ACT THREE, SCENE TWENTY

FONTAINE MANOR

Sage sat on the chaise lounge in the library, feet propped up on the cushions with The Picture of Dorian Gray in her hands.

"Hey, English?"

Anna-Lee's southern drawl came from the door to the library, and she was hovering at the threshold, seemingly nervous to enter.

Sage looked up from the book. "Yankee. What is it?" Her voice was flat and monotone as it usually was, but just like whenever she was talking to Anna-Lee, there was a certain element of warmth to it.

"Can we talk?"

Nodding, she dog-eared the page she was on and set the book down, careful not to damage the spine, as it was not her book, but Sirius's.

Anna-Lee took a breath. "I don't think you should get the Dark Mark."

"I know you don't think it's a good idea," Sage said, narrowing her eyes. "I'm sure one of your generals didn't think the American Revolution was a good idea, either. But look how that turned out."

Swatting at her, Anna-Lee gave a nervous chuckle. "Don't make me laugh. I don't really think little Madeleine wants her Auntie Sage getting a blood-supremacist tattoo, even if it's just to help the war effort."

It took Sage exactly eight seconds to register what exactly her friend meant. The first seven seconds were spent confused, and by the eighth, she had put the pieces together.

"You're—you're pregnant?"

Anna-Lee nodded, a sheepish smile on her face. "Yep. And you're the first to know, so don't go running your mouth to Noah until I have a chance to tell him."

The ninth second involved pure mortification and worry.

"Oh no. I took Polyjuice Potion to turn into you a few weeks ago. Yankee, what if I, I dunno, mangled your little unborn baby?"

Anna-Lee soothed her friend's worry by grabbing Sage's shaking hands and pressing them to her belly, where a small but noticable swell was forming.

"Shut up, okay?" She said sternly, but her voice melted into something much softer and sweeter. "Sage, meet Madeleine. Madeleine, meet Sage."

The former Slytherin's heart seemed to grow a few sizes. "You're naming her after my grandmother?" She said quietly, almost afraid to hear the answer.

Anna-Lee squeezed her hands. "Only if it's okay with you. Y'know, in case you wanted to name any of your kids after your grandma."

"No, no. By all means, use the name. Nana would love it."

lol