ACT FOUR, SCENE FIFTEEN

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL

The days and weeks and months passed quickly after that. It wasn't that she lost track of time. No, quite the opposite. She was painfully aware of the time that passed, and with every new season, birthday, or holiday, she was noticing that she was growing older.

When she dropped Harry off at primary school for his first day of kindergarten, in the same muggle school that Anna-Lee had enrolled Madeleine in, most of the mothers were around her age, but they were married, with husbands that helped care for their children.

Yet Sage Fontaine rolled up to the school by herself, with a five year old who looked small for his age, and who bore no resemblence to his guardian other than their messy dark hair.

The other mothers looked at her with judgemental expressions, and she glowered at them in response, gripping Harry's hand tighter.

After she dropped him off, she sat in Anna-Lee's car in the passenger's seat, knees pulled up to her chest, sobbing.

"English, listen, it's okay! I cried when I dropped Mads off. It's only a few hours—you can pick him up this afternoon." Anna-Lee reassured her, one hand on her shoulder. "If you can drop him off at Petunia's for two whole weeks, you can leave him at school for a couple of hours."

Sage wiped fervently at her tears. "I just...he's sensitive. What if they're mean to him?"

Despite the fact that her dearest friend was crying, Anna-Lee laughed, keeling over as the chuckles escaped her.

"Why are you laughing at me?" Sage whined.

Anna-Lee just kept laughing. "You are so much more emotional than you let people see, English. You love that boy so much."

"Yeah, no shit."

can u spell character development