ACT FIVE, SCENE SIXTEEN

SAINT-VERAN, FRANCE

The next afternoon was relatively quiet; Anna-Lee and Noah took the children to Paris for some sight-seeing, leaving Sage and Sirius in the house to do whatever they pleased on their second-to-last day there.

Unlike what Anna-Lee and Noah thought they'd be doing—something incredibly dirty, most likely—Sage and Sirius spent the day outside, having a picnic on the expansive grounds that surrounded the Fontaine estate.

She was quiet, just like she had been all morning, as she sipped wine straight from the bottle. She felt his eyes on her, dark and heavy like a thick woolen blanket, but she didn't meet his gaze. Something had to be on her mind—she was never very talkative, but with him, she usually attempted to make some sort of conversation.

Finally, after so long without a word between them, he broke their silence.

"D'you remember that night I proposed to you?" He asked tentatively, careful not to say the wrong thing and upset her.

She glanced his way, not quite looking at him directly. "The night Lily and James died? The first night we had Harry? The night you went to kill Peter and left me?" Her voice was soft, and bitterness cut through it like a strange, sharp knife.

He tried not to frown. "I never did anything about that. I've been back for almost a year now, and I haven't tried to propose again."

Sage's gaze snapped to his, and she raised her eyebrows. She wasn't angry, necessarily, but there was something in her expression that held an emotion that was far from happy. She didn't say anything in response.

"Well, a few days after I... got back..." He seemed to dance around the mention of Azkaban. "I used Regulus's hair for a Polyjuice potion. Went into London, to the jewelry shop where James got Lily her engagement ring."

Her eyes widened slightly, almost imperceptibly, and she opened her mouth to speak.

He cut her off, rooting into his pocket for a moment before pulling out a box. "Well, I got this. Took me nearly an hour to find the right one—I was afraid that I'd run out of time with the potion—but the minute I saw this, I knew it was the one." He said.

She lunged towards him and snatched the small box out of his outstretched hand, curiosity taking over her.

"And I figured, since my last proposal wasn't the greatest, I might as well give it another shot."

She opened the box, finding a ring of emerald and white gold, with smaller emeralds around the band. If anything, the ring was gorgeous, and it was so totally her that she couldn't help but marvel at how well he knew her.

"I didn't know your ring size—everything we've been through, and the only thing I don't know is your ring size—so if it doesn't fit, we can always get it resized. And if you don't like it, it's not a big deal. I won't be hurt, or anything like that." Sirius was rambling, embarrassed or maybe just trying to fill her silence.

It was her turn to cut him off, slamming her lips onto his and nearly sending the both of them tumbling down into the grass.

When they broke apart, she was panting. "Ask me." She commanded in the breathiest of whispers. "Ask me to marry you."

"Will you marry me, Sage Celeste Fontaine, and make me the luckiest man alive?"

"No."

He gasped, reeling backwards.

"I'm kidding! Of course I'll marry you, you idiot."

:)