ACT FIVE, SCENE FORTY FOUR

DEPARTMENT OF MYSTERIES

Harry James Potter was convinced that he was going to die. He was going to meet an untimely death like his parents.

With his friends around him, held at wand-point by half a dozen Death Eaters, and while he himself was face to face with Voldemort's right hand man, he began to wonder if the prophecy in his hand was even worth it.

He thought about what Sage would do. Faced with certain death either way, would she give up the thing she'd fought so hard to retrieve if it meant her friends could live? He was sure she would. She'd taught him time and time again that friends were worth more than gold.

So he clenched his fist and passed the prophecy orb over to Lucius Malfoy, despite the fact that every cell in his body was screaming at him not to.

And then the room went white. A pure, blinding, brilliant light flashed, and he was left blinking stupidly, unsure what had just happened or if this was what dying felt like.

"Touch my kid again, Malfoy, and I swear to Merlin you'll be dead before you hit the ground."

Sage Fontaine-Black stood in front of him, looking ragged and exhausted, with the sleeves of her cardigan rolled up to expose the Dark Mark on her forearm. Her face was set in an expression full of fury, and she looked downright murderous.

She transferred her wand to her right hand, and with her left, she swung, knuckles connecting to Malfoy's eye.

Hope swelled in Harry's chest as more white light filled the room, and one by one, each Death Eater was thrown back, away from his friends. He was so abruptly optimistic that the sound of glass shattering—the prophecy smashing against the stone—didn't phase him. He simply watched in awe as more of his family appeared.

Sirius, Regulus, Remus, Anna-Lee, Rowan, Maia. They were all there, for him. To protect him.

Sage lunged for Harry in the chaos, tackling him down behind a short wall of rock, and she looked at him with concern in her dark eyes.

"You alright?" She asked quickly, eyes scanning over him to check for injuries or any sort of pain. When he nodded fervently, she sighed. "Good. Sit tight right here. I'll come get you when it's over."

She prayed he'd listen, although she knew he never would, and she dove right back into the action, sending hex after hex and even a few Unforgivables at her enemies.

She was locked in a nasty battle with Lucius, so focused on taking him down that she didn't notice her godson had followed her. She found herself next to Sirius, back to back with him, really. He was so close that she could feel his body heat through the fabric of their clothes; she itched to grab his hand in order to quell the feeling of dread building just behind her heart.

He was suddenly spinning her, taking her former place as she now fought with Rabastan Lestrange.

They disarmed their opponents quickly and easily, and, with the playing field relatively clear, he pulled her into a kiss.

Something felt wrong, so wrong that she pulled away, words forming on her lips.

"Stupefy!"

She hadn't realized where they'd been standing until Bellatrix screamed out a spell and Sirius went flying backwards.

She hadn't realized that this room was the same as the one from her dreams, so many years ago, and the veil...

Her heart stopped. Sirius stood just inside the large stone archway, a strange, peaceful smile on his face as he gazed at her with loving eyes. He didn't look to be in pain, or scared. He simply looked peacefully absent, like he wasn't truly there.