ACT THREE, SCENE FORTY NINE

FONTAINE MANOR

When Sage Fontaine woke up the next morning, she had blissfully forgotten the events of the previous night. Her dreams had been peaceful, and although she could not remember them other than a few brief flashes, she knew that in her dreams, she had been safe and warm and happy.

But her eyes opened, and she heard Harry's cries, and she realized that everything from last night had really, truly happened, and her worst nightmares had come true.

"Sirius?" She called out as she went to care for Harry, having noticed that her boyfriend—fiance? Were they technically engaged now, since he'd asked her to marry him the night before?—was no longer in their bed.

The silence was deafening; if he was in the house, he didn't reply.

She tried again. "Sirius? Harry's crying. Can you come help?"

When there was no answer, she sighed, scooping up the baby and rocking him back and forth. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a note on the bedside table, a sheet of parchment folded into thirds.

She rested Harry on her hip and used her now free hand to pick up the note, finding a few lines of writing inside.

Sage,
I'm sorry. I didn't want to leave, but it was gnawing on me all night. I had to make him pay, baby. I did this for you, for Harry, for Lily and James and my brother. I'll be home by dawn, but in case I'm late, I love you. You are beautiful and smart and scary and amazing. I can't wait to marry you.
Only yours,
Sirius.

She frowned, gnawing at her lip, and Harry fumbled for the paper in fascination.

Dawn was far gone, the morning sun shining brilliantly through the half-open window.

"Anna-Lee!" Sage shouted, taking Harry with her as she ran for the door. "Anna-Lee, is Sirius here?"

She found Anna-Lee at the front door, a worried look on her face.

"English, there's a couple of Aurors here to talk to you." Anna-Lee said flatly, stepping away from the door to reveal Alastor Moody and Kingsley Shacklebolt standing on the porch imposingly. "Here, let me grab Harry and get him some breakfast while you talk to them, okay?"

Sage nodded and allowed her to take the baby.

"Fontaine, do you know what Sirius Black was doing last night, around four a.m.?" Moody asked gruffly, and his good eye seemed to travel over her puffy, tired, heartbroken face.

Sage shook her head, and her face was stony. "He was in my bed when I fell asleep around one in the morning. When I woke up, about ten minutes ago, he was gone. I have no idea where he went or what he was doing between one and nine." She lied through her teeth.

If he had gone to kill Peter, something that she'd fantasized about doing herself since Sirius had told her that Pettigrew had been the one to sell out the Potters to Voldemort, she wouldn't be the one to betray Sirius's trust. If he was in trouble, he would trust her to lie for him.

Moody sighed. "He murdered Peter Pettigrew and twelve muggles last night, Sage. He's going away, for the rest of his life." He sounded almost disappointed, for he'd always taken a liking to Sirius, despite his brash and cocky attitude.

She had to fight off the nausea that swept over her. "Azkaban?"

A nod confirmed her worst suspicions.

"When is his trial? I'd like to testify on his behalf." She said sternly, pulling her shoulders back and standing tall.

Kingsley stepped forward and held a hand out to placate her. "Miss Fontaine, ma'am, he won't be getting a trial. The Wizengamot ruled against it earlier this morning. I'm sorry, but he isn't getting a trial. There will be no need to testify."

"Are you bloody kidding me?" Sage demanded, full of anger. She balled her fists, feeling her nails dig into her palms to the point of a sharp pain. "He deserves a trial. Everyone deserves a trial—what is it the Americans say? Innocent until proven guilty?" She seethed.

"I'm sorry, ma'am. He's going to Azkaban and never getting out."

and thus is the end of act three. have a good day!