ACT THREE, SCENE FORTY TWO

FONTAINE MANOR

That winter was a cold and lonely one. The first week of December had brought a blizzard so horrible that it had kept all of London stuck in their homes for nearly a week.

And for that entire week, Sage Fontaine didn't leave her bedroom.

Anna-Lee had tried using Madeleine, walking and talking now, to coax Sage out of her isolation, but even her goddaughter wasn't enough to make her leave.

Everyone, especially Anna-Lee and Sirius, was growing increasingly worried, to the point where word had reached Regulus through the grapevine about her immeasurable sadness.

She sat in an armchair in front of her bedroom window, eyes trained on the snowy landscape outside, with her arms wrapped around her knees. She had curled herself into a ball.

There was the loud, tell-tale pop of Apparition from behind her, but she didn't turn to greet it. She'd kicked Sirius out last night, when he'd become too worrysome for her to handle, so she was sure he'd be smart enough to stay away for a while.

"Fucking hell, Green. Don't you have a live-in cleaning lady? This mess is insane."

She closed her eyes and leaned back in the chair. "Fuck off, Regulus. Leave me alone."

She heard footsteps approaching her chair.

"No, I will not fuck off. I get it—Char's dead. It sucks, it sucks so bloody much and it hurts—but it doesn't give you an excuse to cut everyone off and hole yourself up in your bedroom." Regulus Black spoke condescendingly, clearly concerned for her but too mad at her for worrying everyone to care.

She finally did turn around, eyes dark with a mix of anger and utter sadness. "No, you don't get it. You hadn't seen her for two years. She was my best friend for ten fucking years. Losing her was like losing Julien all over again. She was murdered by people who laughed about it a week later. So you don't get to judge me for how I am dealing with this, not when you checked out and left all of us. You don't get to judge me for this." She seethed.

He shrunk back, wounded, and she took a moment to really observe him. He looked thinner than he had the last time she'd seen him, but then again, so did she. The war was hard on all of them, physically and emotionally, it seemed.

"Listen, I'm sorry. I'm not judging you. I just—I just want you to take care of yourself." He said, quieter now than he had been a few moments ago. "It hurts everyone around you for you to shut down. I just want you to be better."

He rested his hand on her shoulder, and she melted into the first human contact she'd had all day.

She sighed. "I wish you could come back. Genuinely come back, be with all of us again." She murmured. "We all miss you—Sirius still has nightmares where he wakes up in the middle of the night, crying for his little brother."

"Once the war is over, Sage. Then I'll be back."

back to bed