ACT FIVE, SCENE THIRTY SEVEN

FONTAINE MANOR

There was very little that Sage Fontaine-Black dared to hope for these days. What with a war brewing on the horizon for the second time in her life, and the fact that her old friend had escaped Azkaban and most likely knew about her betrayal, well, she didn't gamble with dreams of peace and serenity.

When she walked down the stairs to find Kingsley Shacklebolt and Rowan Silvers sitting in the formal living room in the middle of April, hope threatened to rise in her chest and shatter into a million knifelike shards at the very same time.

"Ro? Shacklebolt?" She asked, defensive and sharp. "What are you doing here?"

Rowan glanced to Kingsley. "We, er—Kingsley has a few questions about Bella's escape." Her voice was hesitant and quiet, and she looked like she wanted to be anywhere else.

Because she knew that upstairs was escaped mass-murderer Sirius Black. And she would do anything to ensure that Sage didn't lose Sirius again.

Sage met Rowan's eyes, and the two friends shared a look that held more secrets than Kingsley could ever know. Sage just nodded imperceptibly and knowingly; it was a gesture that said whatever happened in that room, she wouldn't blame Rowan for it.

She turned to Kingsley with a warm, fake smile. "Sure. What's up, Shacklebolt? What d'you want to know?" She asked.

Kingsley looked happy about her compliance. "Well, you filed a report with the Auror office in July of 1981 that Bellatrix Lestrange broke into your home and attacked you. According to that report, you were the last person in the Order, other than the Longbottoms, to see Lestrange before the fall of Voldemort and before she was sent to Azkaban." He spoke clearly and precisely, choosing his words carefully. "The office just wants to know if you think you're in danger, now that she's escaped. That way, if you are in danger, we can have you under twenty-four seven surveillance."

Her response was immediate. "No. I don't need the surveillance. I can protect myself."

It was too fast of a reply, it seemed, for Kingsley looked at her strangely. "Fontaine, are you or are you not in danger? Do you believe she will come after you?" He pressed on, hands folded politely in his lap.

"I... yes, I do believe that once she gets the means and the time, she'll come after me. But I don't need an Auror team guarding me constantly. You asked me the same question when Sirius Black escaped but I handled myself just fine. I don't need, nor do I want a guard. If she comes after me, I'll kill her. Simple as that." She said plainly.

If Kingsley was shocked by her threat of murder, he didn't show it. "Fontaine, I know your history. I know your body count. I know you can protect yourself and the Michaels family and Harry. But asking for help does not make you weak. So if you change your mind, let me know and we'll have a guard outside your house at all times."

He stood up them, dusting off his robes, and stuck his hand out for her to shake. "I'll see you on Monday, Fontaine. Bright and early. I expect you to be alive, alright?"

She smiled. "I'm quite sure that the only person who could come close to killing me is Alastor Moody himself. Don't worry your bald head about it, Shacklebolt. I'll be fine." She said, shaking his hand fervently.

"Darling, I think I'll stay here with Sage. Have a light lunch, maybe." Rowan said, putting on a mask that a happy, content girlfriend would wear. She kissed his cheek. "I'll see you tonight for dinner, yeah?"

He agreed and with only a few words, left the Fontaine Estate, leaving Rowan and Sage in the living room by themselves.

Rowan immediately launched herself at Sage and grabbed her shoulders. "You are such a good liar. It honestly scares me." She said, laughing mirthlessly.

Sage raised her eyebrows. "Oh, I was barely lying. The only lying I did was about Sirius. Everything else I said was true—if Bellatrix comes knocking, she'll end up dead. She's batshit insane. I can handle her."

"Sage, my love, why was an Auror in the house?" Sirius said from the foot of the stairs, smirking at his wife.

She pointed a finger at him. "You are going to get me arrested one day, Sirius Orion Black." She said, sounding angry despite the small smile on her face.

He just beamed at her, looking at her like she hung the moon. "You'd love me regardless."

"Don't count on it."