ACT FIVE, SCENE FIVE

THE AUROR OFFICES

Work was hectic for the next several weeks. With infamous mass murderer Sirius Black on the loose after his impossible escape from what was known among the wizarding world as the most well-guarded and impenetrible prisons, everyone was on edge.

At least, that's what was said at the morning briefing when Sage went to work the next day.

She almost laughed when Alastor Moody said the words armed and dangerous in reference to Sirius. Almost.

Sure, Sirius was deadly when he was angry. At least, he could be. As far as she was aware, he hadn't sent anyone to meet their maker. When it came to Sage herself, or his brother, their friends, or Harry, though, he would kill for them in a heartbeat.

But then again, Sage was deadlier.

Through her work under Voldemort's dictator-like rule, and the vengence she'd sought after Charlotte and Marlene were murdered, she was on track to go down in wizarding history as the most fatal witch to ever walk the earth. Even Voldemort himself couldn't compare.

That was her little secret, though. That was between her and God.

Moody had put her in a difficult position when he assigned her to Sirius's case. He'd looked at her scrutinously and asked her if she could remain impartial and take Sirius down for good.

She had said yes. It was certainly a good thing she was an excellent liar.

Sage studied Sirius's file for hours, hunched over at her desk from eight in the morning to six in the evening. It was all information that she had known for weeks, for the escaped convict himself had lived in her house, ate in her kitchen, slept in her bed, all while the Aurors and Ministry as a whole attempted to track him down.

Little did they know, he was with one of their own. Did betraying her country and her government make her feel guilty? Absolutely not. Not when it came to him. No matter how many time's he'd given her a reason to hate him.

"Fontaine, it's past six." Moody said to her on her first day on Sirius's case. "Come on. Time to go home."

Kingsley Shacklebolt gave her a small smile. "Me and Nymphadora are going to get drinks at the Leaky Cauldron. You want to come with?" He asked.

Nymphadora Tonks, the newest among them, swatted at Kingsley's bald head, her usually pink hair changing to a flaming red as she glared at him.

"Tonks or nothing, Shacklebolt. Nymphadora is reserved for my mum, and that's it."

Sage hesitated. Moody had always told her during the first war that keeping secrets and alcohol never mixed well. That was back when she was a double agent, a member of both the Order of the Phoenix and a Death Eater at the same time, with the purpose of gaining the trust and learning the secrets of the latter.

The philosophy applied to the secrets she kept these days, too.

Despite her better judgement, she nodded. "Sure. But I've got some errands to run tomorrow, so I can't have more than a drink or two."

Nymphadora grinned widely, showing off pearly white teeth. "Wicked. We'll meet you there, yeah?"

"Sounds like a plan, Tonks."

hey besties