ACT FIVE, SCENE ELEVEN

FONTAINE MANOR

Despite the pain she was in, and despite the fact that her legs nearly gave out beneath her, Sage Fontaine landed on the front lawn with a pained grunt, but remained standing, somehow.

"Sage!" Sirius shouted, all but leaping off the front porch and making a mad dash towards her. "Oh, Godric. Are you bleeding?"

Her hands lazily drifted to her midsection, where Remus had nearly gutted her with his claws. "Oh. I guess I am."

Sirius didn't hesitate before carefully lifting her into his arms, wrapping one arm around her thighs and the other around her back. She was light, like a hollow-boned bird, and even with the weight he'd lost in Azkaban, he lifted her easily.

"Get her inside, onto the couch or something." Anna-Lee ordered, wand out in preparation. She wasn't sure what to do, or how to help, and her hands hovered around Sage's limp body uselessly. "Call Rowan."

Rowan arrived through the fireplace not even ten minutes later, Healer bag in hand, and she surveyed the amount of blood that stained the couch under her best friend.

"Fucking hell." Her Irish accent was heavy in that moment, and she was quick to kneel next to the sofa. "What the fuck happened to her?"

Sirius applied more pressure to the wound on Sage's midsection. "Remus attacked her. It was an accident, he didn't mean to. But we didn't know what else to do, so..." His face was calm, but his voice cracked with emotion.

Rowan didn't even falter upon seeing Sirius for the first time in twelve years. "Alright, move. I can't help her if you're in the way." She said assertively, pulling various salves and creams and bandages out of her bag.

He did as he was told, watching from the other side of the room with a heavy gaze on Sage.

Rowan wanted the room as silent as possible while she worked, and as she murmured spells and charms, and rubbed a minty-smelling ointment over the largest of the scratches, she stayed incredibly focused. Her eyes never strayed from Sage's injuries.

"Alright." She said, finally, after half an hour filled with anxious stares and a bottle of firewhisky passed between her two witnesses. "She's all patched up. She should be fine, but make sure she doesn't do anything too physically active for the next, I dunno, week or so. And Sirius—I'm looking at you—absolutely no shagging, yeah? She could rip her wound open."

Sirius masked his relieved sigh with a crooked grin. "No promises, Silvers."

Rowan agreed to spend the night, just to moniter Sage's condition. She had decided to spend the night in the bedroom next door to Sage's room.

When Sage finally woke up, half past three in the morning, she found that Sirius was already awake, and he was staring at her intently despite such a late hour.

She was exhausted and in a large amount of pain, but she still reached a hand up to sluggishly trace at the ink over his heart.

"You got my name tattooed on you?" She asked quietly, voice soft and hesitant. She almost didn't sound like herself, for Sage Fontaine was never hesitant, never unsure about her words.

He just smiled. "'Course I did, love. Even when I wasn't with you, you were always with me." He said.

She sighed, fingers still resting on his chest. "Is Harry alright?"

"Perfectly fine." Sirius replied, but his smile fell as he continued. "But Sage...Peter escaped. He got away in the panic to get away from Remus. I'm sorry, but he's gone. We couldn't find him."

Her heart sunk in her chest, and she opened her mouth to reply, but a flare of pain sprung up in her midsection, and she gasped.

"What's wrong? Are you alright? Do you need anything?" Sirius asked, questioning in rapid-fire succession.

She took a breath. "A shot of firewhisky, maybe?"

He laughed, gently pulling her closer to him. Her lips pressed against her name tattooed on his chest, and she couldn't help but be overwhelmed with love again.

"Hey, Sirius?" She said quietly, to which he responded with a soft hmm. "Promise me you won't leave again."

His heart beat in a steady rhythm under her lips, and if he replied, she was too far into falling asleep to hear.