ACT FOUR, SCENE SEVEN

FONTAINE MANOR

By the time spring, and eventually summer, had rolled around, Sage had been seeing her therapist once a week for months, and Regulus had moved into the Fontaine-Michaels household for good.

With four adults around to raise two toddlers, Sage was reminded of the winter after Madeleine was born, when Lily, James, and Sirius were all living with her and helping to care for Madeleine. The house was full and there was never a quiet moment, but those weeks had been the happiest of Sage's adult life so far.

With the wards around the mansion up, Sage and Regulus sat on the porch swing while the sun set in the distance, watching Harry play with toy trucks and cars a few feet away from them.

"Do you think I'm going to end up fucking him up?" She asked quietly, turning her attention away from Harry for a moment and glancing at Regulus out of the corner of her eye. Her voice was usually so strong and assured, but in that moment she sounded genuinely concerned.

Regulus snorted and met her gaze. "You're serious?" He asked, and when she nodded solemnly, he shook his head. "No, Sage. I don't think you'll end up fucking him up. I know you don't know what you're doing in the slightest, but you're a great mum to him." He replied.

She mimicked him, shaking her head, too, as she looked at her godson with sad eyes. "I don't want to be his mum. I wanted to be the fun aunt that taught him bad words and bought him candy and took him on ridiculously fancy vacations so he can see the world while he's still young. But no, Lily and James had to fucking die. And now I'm left to wipe Harry's ass and teach him how to read and all this other bullshit I didn't know I was signing up for when I agreed to be his godmother."

Regulus just stared at her for a moment, and while they made eye contact, something shifted.

They both burst into laughter, doubling over on the porch swing and keeling into each other.

It felt so cathartic to laugh at her own expense, to laugh in the face of her grief. It was such a relieving feeling that her laughter quickly turned into tears, and she suddenly was sobbing uncontrollably while Regulus tried to stop chuckling.

Harry noticed her abrupt tears, and he scrambled to stand up on chubby toddler legs. His bare feet pattered across the wooden porch, and he clung to her legs as he looked up at her with wide blue eyes.

"Sagey?" He mumbled, and he tapped her knees insistently, wanting to be picked up.

She had been taking care of the child for long enough to decipher his little gestures and body language, so she understood what he was asking for and pulled him into her lap.

Sage held him close, one arm wrapped around him loosely.

"You really think I'm doing a good job?" She asked Regulus, quieter now than she had been earlier. "Don't spare my feelings, either. Be honest."

Regulus rested his head on her shoulder and grabbed her free hand. "You can barely take care of yourself these days, but you do a damn good job of taking care of him. I know you're raising him exactly how Lily would want you to."

She smiled slightly. "Y'know, for an asshole, you're certainly good at giving advice."

"What can I say, the two years I spent pretending to be dead made me a better person."

"Sure."

cute little sage n reggie moment <3