The celebration

"Let's go, the guest, are waiting." My father came in looking irritated. my mother followed after him quietly. "You look stunning my dear." My mother walked up to me holding my hands with tears in her eyes. "Thank you," I smiled at her. It was a bittersweet feeling one where I had this anger seething in me because my mother wasn't able to stand up for me, and at the same, the pity and love I have for her because she's just a woman who was married under the wrong circumstance.  We shared that moment before it was distastefully interrupted by my father.

"That's enough, get moving. The wedding is about to start." He took my hand and led me out of the room, My sisters went first, and as we waited behind the door, there were a million emotions and a million thoughts coursing through me. My father spoke up.

"Elara," Father said, his voice a low rumble that resonated with the weight of authority. "Today marks a huge occasion for our family. This union will secure our legacy."

I clenched my jaw, my fists at my side. "Legacy, Father? This isn't a union; it's a transaction. You're selling me off like a piece of property."

His eyes narrowed, a warning beneath the illusion of the smile he had on his face. "Watch your words, Elara. This is about the future of our family. You will play your part."

I forced a smile, my eyes reflecting a smouldering resentment. "Part? What part, Father? The obedient daughter in your grand charade of power and control?"

His patience was wearing thin. "Elara, you are the only eligible heiress to the Lee empire. This marriage is not just about you; it's about securing the prosperity of generations to come."

I turned away, my gaze fixed on the elaborately adorned room, the trappings of an occasion that felt more like a funeral for my freedom. "Prosperity? What about my happiness, Father? Am I to be sacrificed for the prosperity of a family that cares more for its reputation than the well-being of its members?"

He stepped closer, his hand reaching for my arm with a grip that bordered on forceful. "Your happiness is inconsequential compared to the legacy you carry. You will marry Kim Taehung, and you wifulfilill your duty."

I yanked my arm away, my frustration bubbling to the surface. "Duty? This isn't duty; it's a betrayal of everything I am. I won't be a pawn in your games."

Father's eyes flashed with a stern warning. "Elara, you will do as you're told. This marriage is not negotiable. It is a decree."

I took a deep breath, the air thick with tension. "Decree? You've turned my life into a dictatorship, Father. This isn't love; it's tyranny."

He sighed a heavy breath that seemed to echo the weight of his choices. "Elara, you are the key to the future of our family. Your sacrifices will be remembered in the records of Lee history."

I scoffed, my bitterness evident in every word. "History, Father? I'd rather be forgotten by history than be remembered as the daughter who surrendered her life for the sake of a legacy built on oppression and control."

His patience waning, father spoke with a finality that left no room for argument. "Enough, Elara. The ceremony awaits. You will marry Taehyung,  and you will do so with grace and poise. Our family's future depends on it."

As we made our way down the grand staircase, the elaborate train of my gown trailing behind me, the vast ballroom revealed itself in all its grandeur. A sea of expectant faces – relatives, dignitaries, and acquaintances – awaited the union of the Lee and Kim families. At the altar, Kim Taehyung, the groom, stood with a veneer of civility that barely concealed the coldness in his eyes.

The ceremony began with the priest's words a distant murmur as I stood beside Taehyung. The weight of the elaborate gown felt like armour, shielding me from the prying eyes and whispered expectations. The vows we exchanged were hollow echoes, a recitation that did little to mask the storm brewing within me.

As the priest pronounced us husband and wife, the symbolic weight of the gold band on my finger felt like a shackle, a symbol of the chains that bound me to a destiny, not of my choosing.

The reception unfolded with extravagance – a feast of gourmet delights, the clinking of champagne glasses, and the orchestrated dance of social pleasantries. I moved through the crowd with a practised smile, exchanging pleasantries with guests who offered their congratulations. The charade of celebration seemed surreal against the backdrop of my inner turmoil.

In the midst of the partying, I found a moment of calmness in a dimly lit corner of the garden. The moonlit path, adorned with delicate fairy lights, beckoned me to escape the suffocating confines of the celebration. A voice called out from the shadows as I stepped onto the cobblestone pathway.

"Elara."

I turned to find Kim Taehyung approaching, his demeanour a blend of arrogance and entitlement. "Taehyung," I acknowledged, my tone bland.

He looked at me with annoyance. "Quite the celebration, isn't it? A union of two powerful families. Yet I am out here looking for my wife and missing my own wedding celebration."

I raised an eyebrow, my sarcasm evident. "Celebration? This is not a celebration; it's a farce. A union built on control and manipulation."

He sighed, his arrogance undeterred. "Control and manipulation, Elara? This marriage serves the interests of both our families. It's an alliance."

I met his gaze, the fire within me undiminished. "Alliance, Taehyung? This is not an alliance; it's a surrender. A surrender of our lives to the whims of our fathers."

His arrogant aura changed, replaced by a cold indifference. "Our fathers may be assholes but they know what is best for us, Elara. You would do well to remember that."

I turned away, the moonlight casting shadows on the cobblestone path. "What's best for us, Taehyung, or what's best for their legacy? There's a difference."

"I'm not having this conversation with you." He turned away and began walking in the opposite direction. "Make sure you're inside soon, guests are starting to ask questions." I watched him as he left and sighed before walking back inside with him.

As the night wore on, the celebration continued with an air of forced happiness. The laughter and music echoed in the grand ballroom, a huge contrast to the turmoil within me. The walls of the mansion seemed to close in, suffocating me with the weight of tradition and familial expectations.

(Hi everyone, I would like to apologize about the whole Lorenzo, Sophia thing. At first, I wanted to change all the characters of the book but then I felt like it wouldn't be fair to the original readers. Hence, I decided to let it be so if you do see any characters that confuse you I apologize I'll try to fix it.)