Marriage News

As we arrived at the Lee estate, an imposing mansion nestled on the outskirts of the city, an unfamiliar sight caught our attention; two cars we didn't recognize parked in the driveway. The knot in my stomach tightened, and Jennie's expression mirrored my uneasiness.

"Unusual," she remarked, eyeing the unfamiliar vehicles.

"Indeed," I responded, a sense of foreboding settling over me.

The grand doors of the mansion swung open, revealing the opulence within. Our parents awaited us in the grand foyer. The air seemed charged with an unspoken tension as we made our way to the dining room.

Seated at the head of the long mahogany table were our parents, and to our surprise, another couple;  strangers, yet eerily familiar. They appeared to be around the same age as our parents, their presence radiating an air of sophistication that hinted at power and authority. Two men stood beside them, their eyes scrutinizing us with a detached curiosity.

"Elara, Jennie, meet the Kims," My father announced, gesturing toward the couple. "This is Kim Jin Young and his wife, Seo Hyung."

We exchanged polite nods, a sense of formality prevailing. The atmosphere in the room was thick with unspoken tension. As my eyes wandered to the two men standing beside the Kim couple, Mr. Kim continued the introductions.

"These are my sons, Taehyung and Jungkook," he stated, and my gaze locked onto the two men who were roughly our ages.

As we took our seats, the room fell into an uneasy silence. The weight of the unspoken hung in the air, and Jennie and I exchanged a glance, silently questioning the nature of this unexpected gathering.

My father leaned forward, his gaze steady on us. "There is something of great importance we need to discuss tonight. Matters that concern both our families."

Mr. Kim, with a calm demeanor, added, "Our families have decided to forge a union;  an alliance that will strengthen our positions and ensure a prosperous future."

The cryptic statement left Jennie and me exchanging puzzled glances. Our mother, spoke with a sense of formality, "The reason for this alliance goes beyond mere strategic partnership. It involves a union, a marriage between our families."

The revelation struck like a lightning bolt, and my heart skipped a beat. Jennie's eyes widened, mirroring my shock. An arranged marriage involving our families was something we had never anticipated.

"As the head of one of the most powerful mafia families in the country, Kim Taehyung will be your prospective husband, Elara," Father declared, and the room seemed to spin.

Taehyung and Jungkook, the sons of the couple seated across from us, observed the scene with an unreadable demeanor, almost as if they were just as displeased with the arrangement as well. As the gravity of the situation sank in, Taehyung spoke for the first time, his voice tinged with formality and annoyance. "It is an honor to be aligned with the Lee family. Our union will undoubtedly strengthen both our families." He spoke so blandly, I could see his mother elbowing and pinching him under the table.

The room seemed to close in on us, and my voice trembled as I addressed my parents, "Mother, Father, what is the meaning of this? How can you decide something so significant without consulting us?"

Father's gaze remained steely. "This alliance is not just about personal desires. It's about securing the future of our family and ensuring its continued dominance. Your marriage to Taehyung is a crucial part of that plan."

The weight of their expectations pressed upon me, and my mind raced to comprehend the magnitude of the decision they had made on our behalf. Her voice edged with frustration, Jennie spoke up, "You can't expect us to accept this without any say in the matter. It's our lives you're gambling with."

Our mother, responded with an authoritative resolve, "It's a sacrifice for the greater good, Jennie. You both are part of a legacy that demands certain responsibilities."

As the discussion unfolded, the room felt like a battleground where familial duty clashed with personal autonomy. the Kim family, with their composed expressions, seemed unfazed by the turmoil unfolding before them. Taehyung's eyes, however, betrayed a glimmer of curiosity as he observed us.

Jennie, seated beside me, shot me a look of quiet support. We were navigating the intricate dance of familial expectations, concealing the storm of emotions that raged within us.

Mrs.Kim broke the silence. "Elara, Jennie, it would be lovely to get to know you better. Tell us about yourselves."

I cleared my throat, summoning the composure necessary for this charade. "Well, I oversee a few business ventures," I began cautiously, choosing to keep my response vague. The truth of my global business empire, a multi-billion-dollar corporation, was a realm I preferred to keep shrouded in secrecy.

Taehyung's eyes bore into mine, an unreadable intensity in his gaze. "Business ventures? Care to elaborate?"

I offered a diplomatic smile, attempting to steer the conversation away from the specifics. "Just various endeavors across different industries. I find business intriguing."

Mr.Kim leaned forward with an air of curiosity. "That's commendable. Ambition is a trait we value in our family. What prompted you to enter the business world?"

Jennie, always quick-witted, chimed in, "We believe in making our paths. Starting her own business is her way of making a pathway for herself without having to use the family name."

I nodded in agreement, relieved that Jennie had redirected the conversation. Mr and Mrs. Kim exchanged glances, a flicker of approval passing between them.

Jungkook, the younger brother, leaned forward with a boyish curiosity. "What sort of businesses are we talking about? Anything exciting?"

I hesitated for a moment, gauging the appropriateness of my response. "A bit of everything – technology, fashion, construction, hospitality. We like to diversify and explore different arenas."

As the conversation continued, the atmosphere shifted from formal interrogation to a semblance of casual banter. The Kim family seemed genuinely interested in our lives, perhaps attempting to discern the compatibility of this arranged union.

Jennie skillfully deflected questions, blending honesty with discretion. As the focus shifted to the Kim brothers, I seized the opportunity to learn more about them, hoping to uncover any hints about the nature of this alliance.

"Jungkook, what are your interests?" I inquired, directing the question to the younger brother, whose eyes sparkled with a youthful vibrancy.

He grinned, his enthusiasm contagious. "I love art and technology. It's fascinating how they intersect in unexpected ways."

His response grabbed my interest. "Art and technology, that's an interesting combination. Do you have any favorite artists or technological innovations?"

As Jungkook enthusiastically spoke about his favorite artists and emerging technologies, Taehyung observed the exchange with a measured gaze. I sensed something about him, it was cunningness that extended beyond the surface.

The dinner unfolded with a strange rhythm; forced cordiality and genuine curiosity. Jennie and I navigated the conversation with practiced ease, revealing enough to satisfy their inquiries without exposing the intricacies of our lives.

As the evening drew to a close, Mr.Kim raised his glass, a gleam of approval in his eyes. "To new beginnings and prosperous unions. May our families thrive in unity."

The clink of glasses resonated through the room, marking a symbolic toast to a future none of us had chosen. Jennie and I exchanged a glance, a silent acknowledgment of the challenges that lay ahead.

"Well, it was nice having such an amazing dinner with you but we'll be on our way." Mrs Kim stood up grabbing her purse.

"You can't stay longer?" My mother got up with her.
"No sorry we have a busy day tomorrow." Mr Kim went to give my father a handshake.

"I understand." I walked them to the door and waved at them as they entered their respective cars.

I shut the door and turned around and leaned on it. I took a deep breath before walking back into the living room, It was time to face my parents.