0.3

Eli

    I rode in the car silently with Miguel to go see Demetri. I hadn't seen him since the accident, I bit my lip nervously.

"Hey it's gonna be okay," Miguel glanced over at me, "he's gonna be okay."
I nodded and turned the radio on. I twiddled with my fingers nervously, a little anxiety tick I'd grew into.
I looked at the window and I heard the beginning of Lovers. My heart skipped a beat, I could feel a lump in my throat. My body started having hot flashes, chest pains, and of course the shaking.
I sniffed and tried to stay quiet.

"Hey hey, what's wrong?" Miguel frowned.

"N-nothing can we just change the station?" I sniffed.

"Oh yeah," he hit a button on his stereo and it changed stations. I tried to lift my arm out of the sling and felt overwhelming pain.
"Be careful," Miguel frowned and parked in the visitors parking.

"I-I know," I nodded.

"Are you okay? Can you handle this?" He turned so he was looking at me.

"Yes Miguel," I rubbed my eyes.

"Okay let's go," he unbuckled taking the keys out of the ignition.

I reached over with my right arm and unbuckled getting out. I took a moment to compose myself before we walked into the hospital.
We pushed through some doors before we entered the ICU. We walked down to his room and Miguel knocked on the door.

"Oh yeah, boys come in," Demetri's mom opened the door letting us in. I almost broke down at the sight of him. He had a tube down his throat and all kind of machines hooked to him.

"W-what?" I sniffed going straight to his side, "Demetri?"

"He's in a coma hun..." his mom hugged me.

"No..." I sniffed as tears started well up again.

"Shh...he's gonna make it. It's his body way of fighting." She rubbed my back gently.

"But..." I sobbed.

"Hey he's gonna be okay, how are you, Eli?" She pulled away looking at me.

"Just a broken arm and a few ribs." I shrugged looking at Demetri.

"The doctors told us having good friends and family come to talk to him might help awaken the brain." She explained and had a small smile.

"Oh okay," I nodded walking over to his bedside. I grabbed the chair and slid it over next to him.
"Hey Demetri," I smiled a bit, this felt ridiculous but maybe this would work.

"We finally got you to shut up," Miguel giggled a little bit.

"Hey," I giggled slightly looking at Miguel.

"It's true," he smiled shaking his head.

"Well uh hey Demetri, it's Eli." I looked at him.

I rested my head on my hand, "I didn't go to school today." I sighed looking at him and how lifeless he looked. Someone sucked all the joy out of my best friend. But it was my fault. I should've just stayed the night at his house.
I started crying again, I pulled my hoodie sleeve over my hand and wiped the tears.

"Oh, Eli..." his mom frowned.

"I'm sorry," I sniffed and shook my head.

"Just take a deep breath and hold his hand. Physical contact can help." She explained.

"Oh okay," I sniffed and held his hand. His hand was so cold.
I sat there for what was probably hours, up until my mom called telling me dinner was almost done.

"Okay Demetri, I gotta go but I'll be back tomorrow." I gently set his hand down gently next to him.

I got up and waved to him, Miguel said goodbye as she got up.

"Thanks," I hugged his mom.

"Of course just text me if you ever need a ride here." She smiled.

"Of course, my mom said she could make dinner for you and Scott any time." I nodded.

"Tell her to thank you for me," she hugged me again.

Miguel and I left walking back out to his car. Once in there I broke down once again.