0.4

Eli

    I put my head in my hand as I tried to keep my eyes open in class. I was up all night trying to put my thoughts into a journal, thinking about Demetri, and scaring myself with research on comas.
My eyes started to close and I nodded awake again. It kept happening again and again.

"Excuse me..." the teacher cleared his throat, "Eli."

I kept nodding off, "Mr. Moskwitz!" He somewhat shouted.

"Oh uh sorry sir," I frowned sitting up.

"Late night?" He questioned.

"Uh yeah sorry," I sighed looking up at the board and copy downed the notes. The bell rang and I shoved my binder into my bag with a pencil case. I zipped it and had trouble getting my backpack on with the sling.

"Let me help," Sam came over and helped me put the strap on.

"Thanks, Sam," I smiled we started to leave.

"Eli can we talk," Mr. Brown looked at me.

"Oh sure," I nodded

"I'll see you after school," Sam smiled and she waved.

"What's going on?" He leaned against his desk.

"Oh uh just having some trouble sleeping," I nodded looking down.

"If you ever need to talk about anything at all you can talk to me." He smiled.

"Yeah, thanks." I left his class and went to my study hall.

    I walked to the doors over to the student's parking lot and waited for Sam. Once I saw her I waved, "Hey," I smiled at her as we walked out to her car.

"Hey, what did Mr. Brown have to stay?" She unlocked her car and tossed her backpack in the backseat. I struggled to get my backpack off but I got it off and put it in the back.

"Just to tell me I can always talk to him if I have any issues." I shrugged getting in.

"Oh," she nodded starting the car.

"Yeah, it's just whatever," I buckled up and grabbed my phone to plug it into the aux.

"I'm gonna go see Demetri do you wanna go with me," she looked at me.

"Uh yeah," I bit my lip.

"Okay," she backed out and started to drive in the direction of the hospital. I could feel my stomach doing flips. I don't know why it made me so scared and nervous to go see him. If I was honest it gave me so much anxiety and I couldn't tell you why.

"How are you and Miguel?" I looked at her.

"We're doing good, I'm glad we're back together." She smiled, "How are you? Actually?"

"Oh," I looked down at my hands, "Scared."

"Because of Demetri?" She frowned.

"Yeah...going to see him makes me so scared." I sniffed.

"He's fighting, he's fighting for you Eli..." she explained.

"It's all my fault, Sam," I sniffed and rubbed my forehead.

"It's not, things like this are out of control." She sighed.

"I could've just stayed overnight at his house. Why did it have to be him!" I sniffed rubbing my eyes.

"Eli...everything happens for a reason." She frowned.

"It should've been me," I leaned against the window.

"Don't say that," she had pulled over in a parking lot.  She hugged me tight and I cried into her.

"I'm sorry," I sniffed and pulled away rubbing my eyes with my shirt sleeve.

"It's okay to cry and have emotions." She sighed starting the car back up, "Do you wanna go get him some flowers?"

"Yeah," I nodded.

    I carried the bouquet of carnations into his room. There he was lying lifeless, "Hey Kathy." I waved at Demetri's mom.

"Hey hun," she hugged me carefully, "These are some lovely flowers."

"Yeah I thought Demetri would like them," I nodded.

"I'm sure he does," she smiled, "I'm gonna go pick up a vase from home. Are you guys okay here on your own?"

"Yep," Sam nodded.

"Okay, I'll be back," I watched her leave.
I walked over to Demetri sitting in the same chair. I picked up his cold hand and held it with my right hand.

"Hey, it's Eli," I smiled, "I brought my laptop so we could watch Doctor Who."

"I also brought nail polish," Sam smiled taking out a selection of colors from her purse.
Suddenly it was like we were a bunch of friends hanging out again.