Ch 1 : Myth or Reality? - part 4

"No! This will not be the end! I won't let it be!"

The sun was shining in my face, the rays of golden light mostly stopped by my hat, but a great deal reflecting on the water of the small lake I was passing, making it almost impossible for me to see anything beyond this tiny wooden bridge that was but a few steps away from me.

I wasn't on Silvea, not even on Nevadora. That was about all I could make out, then and there.

I set foot on the bridge, decorated with hundreds of small pebbles, as though I was driven to reach the other side. I tried to cross it, hurrying although my legs objected. That's why, once again, I made an effort to unlock my Magic. But it was no use. My energy had almost dropped down to zero.

I barely even made it halfway when tentacles of dark sizzling energy slithered around my legs. Bursts of pure purple magic wrapped around my body and sent a shock through every fibre of my being.

 Bursts of pure purple magic wrapped around my body and sent a shock through every fibre of my being

I fell down on the bridge, hands reaching for the other side. My arms were torn open and the pain rooted itself deep into it, stinging like the quills of a baby manticore. Some nasty burns had torn their way through my clothing and left marks all over my body, even my cheek was skimped.

Worse was how I didn't have time to stop and care about it, I had to reach this house, before it was too late.

It was just across the street, protected by a large and sparkly energy field and not too far away from my location. I could make it if I hurried!

I stood up again and grabbed my hat from the ground in passing, protecting my arm from any further damage as I strode as fast as I possibly could. I wasn't hurt all that bad, and in my heart I could feel a notion of relief... though that didn't last long.

'Run as fast as you like, fairy, we'll get you anyway.' A deep male voice sounded from behind me.

I hurried to get myself to safety, not even bothering to turn and look at him. I stumbled a few times whilst making my way to a tiny little garden in front of this unknown house I could feel was my safeplace, and eventually managed to go through the shield protecting it.

'Hurry! Get in, child. Our force field will keep those Hunters out, for now.'

Two old ladies, both familiar in a comforting kind of way, were standing in the doorway, ready to relieve my burden in whatever way they could.

'I'm ready.' I heard myself say. Tears welled up in my eyes, tears that I couldn't yet place nor could I have any idea why I cried.

'Here you go, the necklace.' One of the elders said, handing me a necklace resembling a lotus flower, the metal making up the flower also holding a small green orb of kinds- it lit up in a vague light the moment I touched it. I recognized it immediately, it was my necklace! How did she get it?

My hand reached for the place around my neck where I was sure it had been just an hour ago. I wanted to ask how she got it, why she took it, but I couldn't do any of those things. Instead, my mouth formed a sentence I didn't even understand: 'Are you sure this is the only option?'

'Yes... There's no other way.'

I hesitated. I was about to do something without even knowing what it was, yet I felt so doubtful.

'No.' I declared. 'I can't give up now, not like this.'

'But you must, the fate of this world depends on-' one of the elderly women began, before getting interrupted.

'What do you have in mind?'

I smiled thankfully and let go of the necklace. 'I'm going to end this once and for all.' I said with a determined look on my face.

'You're not saying you're going after those Hunters, right?' The first elder asked.

I had to disappoint her, and, though I didn't know why, that almost tore my heart to pieces.

'That's exactly what I'm saying. It's the only way to end this war without endangering you all.'

I was about to turn around and walk away at once, but a hand wrapped around mine. It was the other woman. She embraced me in a warm hug and handed me the necklace with tears in her eyes.

'I'm so... so proud of you...'

I returned her hug, and doubt of staying filled my mind. But as much as I wanted to stay and feel the warmth of her embrace even for just a second longer, I couldn't.

It took great effort, but I got loose and walked outside.