Ch3: Arthyrell Academy - part 1

✧ ༻ ˎˊ- 𓆩✧𓆪-ˋˏ༺ ✧

'I still just can't believe it.'

I dropped myself on my bed, only now reminded that the aching in my ribs was still existent, and held the envelope in front of me to examine it for I believe the third time that day, until a paw softly pressed on my belly.

'Oh, hey Boë. You here?' I asked. A soft purr answered my question, and shortly after a weight pressed down on me, causing the pain to emerge some more. 'Oof, dear, would you mind it a little?'

She just looked at me with those big blue and green eyes of hers and continued to turn around to make herself comfortable. When she'd finally laid down and I'd petted her for a while, I reached for the envelope again and inspected it. The slightly blue parchment was smooth under the touch of my trembling fingers. I followed the violet decorations to the other side, where the envelope had been locked with a stronger violet seal. Slowly but surely, I opened it and the first two lines revealed themselves to me once more:

Ehrynn Frostthorn, you have been invited to study at Arthyrell Academy for Fairies and Magic under the guidance of Headmistress Elowen Faewood as of the commencement of...

~✿~

Almost a week had passed since the accident in the Nevadoran forest. Life had resumed the way it always had in the Frostthorn household. Our cozy little house was always in a state of peace and quiet, even on a day like this. With Hazel playing a game of Leavines with her two best friends, Juniper in another meeting, Astra doing her usual round of plant-watering and Anthea playing a pleasant tune on her ukulele, it was as though nothing had happened at all - and nothing was about to change.

I myself was sitting on my usual spot of our moss overgrown couch, sketchbook on my lap but unable to move the pencil between my fingers. Mindlessly was I staring out the window while my hand caressed the little white ball of fur curled up next to me. I had already gathered everything I needed for the trip to the Academy that very morning, yet there was this unease about me I couldn't shake off nor place.

The tip of my pencil was just about to collide with the paper when the door creaked, showing an out-of-breath uncle Juniper still in his formal attire. 'They're here!'

All feelings of distress seemed to be left behind on the couch as I made my way out of the house. When I got outside, I slowed down to take a look up into the sky. The spaceship I was hoping to see was nowhere in sight, and neither could I catch a glimpse of movement in the field besides the faint rocking of flowers in the wind. My heart sunk back into the state it had just left, 'till an all too familiar voice sounded from behind me.

'Was it illogical for us to park in the back garden?'

'Al.' I sighed under my breath. I turned around and almost threw myself around the shoulders of my blue haired friend. 'It's so good to see you again.' I said as I pulled them closer to me.

Alex just stood there, stiff as always when they received any form of affection. 'Likewise.' was their slightly awkward reply. 'Is this the proper greeting on Silvea?'

I just smiled at them once we let go. 'You're doing fine, don't worry.'

'Well then, if it isn't professor Mekanis.' Uncle Juniper swung his arm around the shoulders of the short man. 'I take it the journey here was successful? I didn't expect any less from the best Mech&Tech teacher Bethoran Academy has ever seen. Couldn't think of anyone I'd rather trust to escort my beloved daughter and niece to Arthyrell. You sure you don't want to stay overnight though, it's still a three day journey from here...?'

The professor gently pushed my uncle's arm away and brushed the dirt he had left off the blade of his shoulder. 'Do not stress yourself, I would gladly accept your offer had I not had any business to attend to ere the start of the semester.'