Ch3: Arthyrell Academy - part 2

The first two days went by in the flutter of wings.

Professor Mekanis got the spaceship into the air under loud complaining about the many many trees he had to dodge, but soon forgot all about it as he explained how he had come up with the design of his craft in vivid detail and how he had built the thing from scratch with a couple of students- alongside an occasional suggestion from Alex to fill in lost words.

It had been a special project during the professor's time at Bethoran, to make up for the lost portal system between the planets. I remember Alex and I asking him about it during our stay on Bythrith, but Mekanis had always refrained from elaborating on that part, insisting we'd learn about the portals soon enough and in a more clear way than he could hope to achieve.

The craft itself reminded me of mostly anything on Bythrith, designed to be efficient above all else. It was a huge contrast compared to the Silvean style I had gotten used to these past months, but the lack of frivolous plants and patterns brought an ease along with it that got me used to it in seconds.

We ended up spending another hour or two listening to Mekanis' work before Anthea subtly changed the subject to the Academies.

'Professor?'

'Yes, Frostthorn?'

'I'm sure these two would like to know more about the Academies. They're familiar with the common distinction between them- Arthyrell being for fairies, Bethoran for those who prefer not to rely on Magic, Graefthyn for witches and Dalthera for those who have yet to seek a path- but what I've failed to explain to Ehrynn is what really distinguishes them. It's hard to believe the division is this stereotypical.'

The professor blinked a few times. 'Ah, very well. As I am sure you are well aware, Bethoran, where I teach, is the second Academy to be founded in the Realm of Magic- first being Arthyrell- directly followed by Graefthyn and Dalthera.-

'Arthyrell guides those who seek to learn light Magic - young girls, also known as fairies for their ability to form wings from the energy they channel, although fairies come in many a form and with many differing abilities.-

'Bethoran teaches those who prefer to rely on weapons or technology as opposed to Magic, this includes but is hardly limited to non magicals. In fact, most students do possess some form of Magic, even if faint.-

'Graefthyn helps those who take more to the dark arts - witches, wizards, alchemists, artificers and warlocks alike, more commonly referred to as just "witches".-

'As for Dalthera, being the smallest one of the bunch it is specifically designed to aid those students who have yet to discover their path.-

'The Academies rely on potential, the unexplored magical traces of young students in their developing cycles as a magical being- and an Invitation is sent to younglings from all across the Realm of Magic who have a natural talent in one of those three paths, or those who do possess this potential but have yet to figure out what to do with it. Does that answer your question?'

I raised my hand. 'How do they know what path suits the students? I mean, do they ever make mistakes?'

'Experience.' The professor slowly let his eyes cross the room, stopping briefly when they reached each of us. 'The Academies have been around for hundreds of cycles, in my days I have never once seen the system falter.'

Alex opened their mouth, but held back and looked down. Then they looked up again, directly at their father. 'Is it... possible to transfer Academies?'

Mekanis raised an eyebrow. 'Not to my knowledge. I have never heard of such a thing taking place. But you need not worry about that, Alexan, you are perfectly suited for Bethoran.' He patted Alex on their head and went over to the control panel. 'Now, please try to keep yourselves entertained for a while, I will make sure we do not run into trouble... or at least try to.'

~✿~

While the first two days were filled with stories from the professor and a couple conversations about classes, the third day went by in a more quiet sense. By the time night fell, all had been said and only the anticipation of our arrival was left.

As such, after dinner, I had found some time to pull back to the benches in the rear of the ship, taking my sketchbook along. From my spot, I could still hear the voices of Anthea and the professor, but still I felt relieved to have some peace and quiet.

I had planned on doing a quick doodle before night time, but upon opening my sketchbook I came across the sketch of the mysterious girl from my dream. I hadn't actually gone back to it after that night, but now that I saw it again, I was struck by a chill and a vague familiarity I could not so easily shake off.

A pull on my sleeve drew me back to the present. 'Pixie for your thoughts?'

I was startled, but eased when I saw who it was. 'Al...'

Alex sat down next to me. 'Is this the girl you referred to earlier?'

I nodded- and sighed right after. 'I just don't know who she is. This is the first clue I've come across in weeks and it doesn't really add up with anything I've come to know so far. I think I'm at a loss here, Al.'

Alex took a closer look. 'You mentioned she was a fairy, right? Is it possible you end up meeting her at the Academy?'

I took my gaze from the paper to look at Alex- the thought of meeting her at the Academy had not even crossed my mind before. I guess I had been too occupied figuring out what it all meant to stop and think about the more practical side. While I had never said it aloud, I admired Alex' more logical approach to everything- it sure wouldn't have hurt me to be a little more down to the surface at times.

I watched as they continued to inspect the sketch, silently- and maybe unsure of what to say. Or maybe I did have something on my mind but saying it aloud would make it so... tangible. But then again, it was Al, so I could as well...

'Al...?'

'Uh-hm?'

'Will you still help me figure this out...? I mean, while we are both studying at different Academies and all...'

They stopped inspecting, tilting their head slightly toward me to give a simple but effective reply: 'Of course.'

I let my head down on their shoulder as I had done so many times before, feeling the warmth of their arm and the comfort that came along with it. 'I love you, Al.'

'I love you, too.', they whispered, while softly letting their own head rest on mine.

And as we sat there, eyes closed and weary from a long journey, we both fell asleep

~✿~