Ch 1: Myth or Reality? - part 5

'You came to write the end to your fairy tale?' The male voice asked.

'Yes, Gabe, I'm ready to face my destiny and write myself a happy ending.'

He, whom I had now identified as a certain "Gabe", began to laugh. 'You fairies are all the same. Soon as you threaten their loved ones, they'll come for you.'

Upon which was added by another voice: 'Not that it will make a difference. In this world, fairy tales don't get happy endings.'

This "Gabe" had apparently brought some company: Some guy with an odd hat was with him, a second "Hunter", I presumed, whatever that may be.

And not only he was there, another, hooded one came from out of the shadows behind me.

I swallowed and set foot out of the magical barrier protecting the house. I slowly recited their names: 'Gabe, Raff, Yuri.'

I would've almost bowed to them had I not known any better.

Instead, I turned to the first one again. 'Couldn't you take me on by yourself?' I inquired, not sure I wanted to know the answer to that question.

'Watch your mouth, we could rip your wings off in less than a second, fairy.'

"Wings?"

'I wouldn't be too sure if I were you.' I told them before firing a spell at Yuri, something I didn't even know I was capable of doing. I ended up thoroughly wishing I could take back the words I had so confidently said, as my attempt at an incantation probably would've been more convincing had I not completely missed.

An evil laugh sounded, vibrating through my bones until I shuddered. 'Even if you could hit us, and I'm not saying you can, fairy, Magic doesn't work on us.'

I shook my head slightly. 'No, Magic doesn't, but I'm sure this does.'

Instead of hitting Yuri, my spell had hit one of the lanterns in the street. It fell and brought down the Hunter in just one strike, leaving the other two gnashing their teeth and swearing with words I had never even heard before.

'That was a mistake, fairy!'

The Hunters started closing in on me like predators do with their prey.

I couldn't pay attention to all three of the Hunters at once, which gave one of them the time he needed to sneak up on me and grab both my arms. He brutally held my hands against my back and brought my knees to the ground.

He wrenched my arms until I exclaimed in pain.

'Good job, Raff.' Gabe praised his companion. He came closer and lifted my chin for me to look him in the eyes, his hairy face so close to mine that I could feel his breath.

 He came closer and lifted my chin for me to look him in the eyes, his hairy face so close to mine that I could feel his breath

'Say goodbye to your fairy wings, little bug.'

Gabe moved his hand to my back and was about to rip away the Magic inside of me when a sudden rush of adrenaline went through my body, causing me to do something most would describe as thoroughly stupid; I gave Raff a kick.