Ch 5 : The Mysterious Fairy - part 4

As everyone left the table to make themselves ready for the evening, I waited until I was left alone in the kitchen before I pushed my chair backward. I made my way over to the other side of the room and took a look out of the window, tracing the row of trees that marked the beginning of the forest with my eyes. In a way, it was not unlike Silvea.

I blinked drowsily. My internal clock told me it was getting late, but the sun shone brightly enough for me to have to squint against the light that fell in. I folded my arms over one another and tightened my grip. I figured I should get ready for the night as well, and yet I stood still for a while, making an attempt to release the tenseness that had built up with a sigh.

And then I noticed a soft sound behind me.

I turned my head and let out a shrill gasp, but eased when I recognized Muñoz.

'M... Muñoz?'

She was standing in front of the door to the room we would be sharing, leaning against the doorway, her arms folded. For a moment, I was reminded of Anthea.

'Well, there you are. Sorry, I- didn't mean to startle you. I was waiting for you in our room, but you didn't show. I thought I'd check in on you.'

'Oh...' I turned around. 'I'm sorry, I didn't think...-' I swallowed the remainder of my words.

'-anyone would notice?'

My breath stocked.

Muñoz moved closer to the window, until she was virtually standing next to me. She smiled at me compassionately, then looked off into the distance. 'C'mon, what's the matter?'

I fell silent. And unsure of what to do, I followed her example.

I was expecting words to become stuck again, but to my surprise- they didn't. 'I- I wasn't sure I'd belong here.'

Muñoz raised an eyebrow. 'You know- I wasn't sure I would when I arrived here either. You haven't even started classes yet. Give it some time.'

I let a small smile slip. 'That's not what I mean. I thought I wouldn't fit in here, in the dormitory, maybe even figured it- I've never been good with peers, and well, I can't even activate my Magic- I'm not sure why you'd want me here, but everyone here has been nothing but nice to me.'

She halted. For a while, it seemed like she was contemplating her answer, before she continued: 'Unlike most of the fairies here, I never applied to the Academy. I wasn't exactly supposed to be Magical, you see?-'

'- I got scouted by headmistress Dreamfall- imagine what a shock that was for my non-Magical parents-'

I giggled. Muñoz smiled contently.

'Thing is- I didn't know a damned thing about Magic, but Faewood took me in anyway. It took a little more work than for most, considering I had to learn everything from scratch- but she never once gave up on me- and as you can see, I've passed the first cycle.' She turned her head toward me. 'If she accepted you into this Academy, you belong here, no doubt.'

I smiled carefully- and then suddenly yawned as I felt the tiredness of the afternoon coming back over me.

Muñoz grinned. 'You know, maybe you should call it a night- get some rest.'

I hesitated. Nodded. 'That seems like a good idea.'

'Come on, I'll come with you. It's been a long day for both of us.'

~✿~