Ch 5 : The Mysterious Fairy - part 2

When we came back to what was essentially our kitchen, we were caught by surprise as we walked into a fully covered table. Apparently, Iklím was a great cook and quite used to cooking up a meal for a number of fey, so she had conjured up a meal in no time with a little... uhm... help... from Muñoz.

'I'm telling ya, ye shouldn't have put that much salt in it.' Iklím was busily dwindling about the table, balancing a good amount of platters on her left arm while Muñoz was putting the last few knives in their respective places.

' Iklím was busily dwindling about the table, balancing a good amount of platters on her left arm while Muñoz was putting the last few knives in their respective places

As soon as everything was where it belonged, Iklím patted her hands together and took a good look at the result of her labour.

Muñoz took one of the chairs and pulled it back. 'Oh, we'll see about that.' She nudged Chi, who was restlessly going about from one side of the table to the other, to take a seat. 'Sit down.'

Chi simply stared in awe as she sat down. 'So you used to do this every single day?'

Iklím nodded proudly. 'Guess ye could say so, yeah. Come from a family o' seven younglins. Busy life, but well worth it.'

'I do suggest we rotate the cooking shifts.' Abrish chimed in. 'I'll volunteer for tomorrow's shift- but I'll need some help, would anyone care to assist me?'

I opened my mouth to reply, but before I could- without even looking up from her book- LeGrimm raised her hand.

'Great. And overmorrow?'

Again, I opened my mouth and raised my ha-

Chi leaped up, almost knocking over a glass a little too close to her. 'Me! Me! Pick me!'

I tried raising my hand again to offer to help out, but Iklím took the conversation a different route. 'Overmorrow? What's that for a stupid word?'

'A correct one. It's just old Arthyrian.' Abrish raised her fork and nodded to the others before she started eating. 'Enjoy your meal.'

'It's stupid.' Iklím muttered under her breath. 'Just say "two days from now", like a normal fey.'

I raised my hand one more time, but noticed everyone had already started eating and the topic had shifted significantly in the meantime, so I slowly let it down again and looked down at my plate.

I looked back up when I felt two hands on my shoulders. When I turned my head slightly, I noticed Muñoz' attire.

'Don't worry,' she said in a slightly hushed tone, 'there'll be plenty of cooking shifts. You'll get your chance to help out.'

She sat down next to me and meddled in the conversation that was going on seamlessly, so I was left to sit in wonder.

~✿~