Ch2: The Nevadoran Forest - part 6

The next thing I remember is waking up in bed. The light of the sun was still annoyingly shining through that little opening in the curtains, but when my eyes had adjusted to the light, I noticed Anthea sitting on the end of my bed. She was looking worried.

She sighed in relief when I opened my eyes. 'I'm so glad you're awake.'

She took my hand and held it close to her chest, a common gesture on Silvea to show familial love. It was comforting.

I took a look around, only barely aware of where I was

'A-An-An-thea?' I asked, voice trembling.

She nodded and pulled me closer, hugging me so tight I could barely breathe, though breathing in itself caused enough discomfort as it was. I didn't care. I was too glad to see she was fine.

'I'm so glad you're alright.' Anthea let out. Her voice was steady at first, but soon broke when she tried to put her feelings into words any further:

'When we ca- we came to that - that spot in the woods, I- I thought... I thought I'd lost you...' She sobbed, her hands clamped around my arms like she would never let go of me again.

I put my arms around her, too, hiding my face in her hair.

'I'm alright, An. I truly am.' I said, comforting her. Only then, I realized something. 'But... Hazel?'

'She's fine. Don't worry about it.'

'And your parents?'

'A little worried, mainly, but mostly just glad you're both all right. They picked me up not long after you left and we were just in time to see you make that... creature... disappear. They couldn't believe you pulled that off on your own, little Sunflower- and me neither.'

'But that means...' I began as Anthea let go of me. She softly pushed me back a bit so I was forced to lay down again. My whole body felt sore.

'Did I really defeat that creature of darkness all on my own?' I wanted to know.

'Yes, I believe so. That was incredibly brave.' Anthea said, almost immediately adding: 'But also incredibly stupid. You could have gotten hurt... or worse!' She said in a mother-like tone, the way she always did when things got serious. I had gotten quite used to it.

Though this time, I knew, deep down, she was right. And I agreed with her. I had rushed right into the face of danger without a plan.

Before today, I hadn't even known I could do those magical things. Any outsider would probably think I have a death wish.

I guess Anthea noticed my change of mood and it made her regret her remark, as she tried changing the subject: 'Now, I do have something for you. I think you might want to read it.' she said mysteriously, trying to get my attention again or to cheer me up, I couldn't really make out which one was the case.

'You do?' I asked, trying to sound as surprised as I could so she wouldn't feel too bad about herself. I didn't want to make her sad. I never did.

And I also have to admit I truly was curious about what she was referring to. What could she possibly have that was so important for me to read?

Anthea stood up. 'I'll go get it for you.' She held on to a pair of crutches as she made her way through the room.

From the corner of my eye, I saw her meeting up with Hazel in the doorway. The little freckled girl was covered with scratches, but appeared to be fine, for as far as I could tell. I sighed and let my shoulders ease up a little.

I noticed how Hazel was searching her pockets 'till she handed Anthea some kind of blue envelope. Only a few moments later, Anthea came back to me and handed it to me, smiling and with a joyful spark in her eyes.

I took the letter from her and examined it.

At first, it didn't appear to be anything special. But when I turned it around and saw the "A" on the seal, I was in need of no more than two seconds to figure out what it could be.

I felt my cheeks burning up and turning about as red as a rose as I was smiling brighter than I had ever done.

'No way...!'

~❀❁❀~