Ch2: The Nevadoran Forest - part 3

I was left all alone again in the living room. Not that I'd actually had company before, I don't believe you can call virtual company company, can you now? Well, look at me, I guess when you're bored you just start thinking about this kind of stuff.

It took about half an hour or so, but eventually I was saved from my boredom by uncle Juniper. I think he told me about a council meeting he would be attending that day, but I didn't really pay much attention, though his talks usually are of interest to me.

After we'd had breakfast together, I sat down on a hill somewhere in the huge Silvean forest. It was a lively and beautiful forest that stretched all the way from the Sage in the East to Silvea College, my school, in the West.

It provided a home to a wide variety of vegetation and all kinds of animals, like the Gentlebugs I've mentioned before. And it was my home now, too.

I sighed and opened my sketchbook, turning the pages 'till I found a blank one.

I gently took my pencil between my fingers and was already halfway through raising my hand to advance my drawing, when I came to a halt.

I took a look at the sky, the trees and the endless rivers, everything I could see from my little spot on the small hill, with my mind wandering off, thinking about everything that had happened to me last cycle.

I know I told you just a while ago how this isn't the best time to discuss this, but it's a huge part of this story and it may even be more important than the things you've read before. It's an explanation of how I ended up here in the first place- and I don't mean on this tiny hill.

I grew up on Earth, or so I've been told.

I don't remember much from that time, I don't know who my mother and father were or even who I am. The only thing I do know is that everything changed the day the Hunters attacked my home. I lost about everything that day; my home, my memories, and most importantly, my family.

The only thing remaining from the life I've lived back then is the necklace my elder had given me in my dream. It has this little pendant, shaped like a lotus flower attached to the cold metal it's made of. For as far as I could tell, it wasn't anything special, just a reminder of who I was. And I held on to everything that could tell me about my past, even if only a little.

You see, I was a bit of an outcast on Silvea, being the only one from another realm and even someone without any sign of magical abilities- aside from in my dreams. Most of the girls at my school could grow trees or heal plants with a single snap of their fingers, but that wasn't the case for me. Most of my fellow classmates didn't mind that much and didn't treat me all that differently, but I didn't really fit in.

And truth is, I had even started to believe I would never get to be a fairy.

But then, whenever I was dreaming that dream again, I couldn't help but notice the magical source I had possessed in it.

Maybe I was just seeing ghosts or maybe it was a somewhat exaggerated version of what had actually happened, but I couldn't get it out of my mind.

And then there was that girl. Who was she? Did I know her when I was still living on Earth? Or did I meet her somewhere else? And was dreaming about her just a coincidence or was she trying to communicate with me through my dreams?

I noticed how I was clenching my pendant in my hand, so I released it. I examined it like I'd done so many times before, turning it from one side to the other and back again, hoping it would somehow bring me a clue of any kind.

But all it did was glow against the darkness of my enclosed hand...

~✿~

About ten minutes later, I had already sketched out most of the drawing.

It was to be a drawing for my aunt Astra, to give to her as she had been a little stressed those weeks.

When I was just about to put the pencil down, my eyes got drawn to the sky. I saw Nevadora, hanging up there like it always had. It was actually a pretty scary sight, such a dark planet glooming right above our heads, like something could creep out of the darkness any minute.

I remember when I first came to Silvea after the attack of the Hunters. By the time, I had just been introduced at school and one of the girls in class, Ameria, had taken my sketchbook from me after I'd failed a basic Magic exercise. Even if I had only gotten around to drawing something on the first page, as the book had been gifted to me by my uncle just before going to school, I'd still felt so sad and angry when she took the page and tore it apart.

I had pushed her away, pulled my sketchbook out of her hands and had run away to come to this very hill.

A while later, my aunt found me. She'd simply sat down and put her arm around me, letting me cry until I'd run out of tears.

That's when, for the first time, I had noticed the dark moon in the sky, Nevadora.

"Which moon is that, up in the sky?" I had asked after calming down a little.

"That's the Seventh Moon of Evergreen, Nevadora." She had replied, slowly petting me in an attempt to comfort me.

I had raised my head to her, asking: "Seventh? But where's the Sixth?" and my aunt had looked down at me, sadness written all over her face.

I never did get the answer to that question, nor had I asked for it ever again.

It was from that moment on that I came here every single time I felt sad, angry, confused... or if I just wanted to sketch. And, over time, I might say that I have gotten to know quite a bit more about Silvea and its history with Nevadora.

The planets have been at war with each other ever since Nevadora changed its orbit.

Yet, everything has been rather silent these past few days. There haven't been any attacks lately and the part of the forest that had been taken over by Nevadora has stopped expanding itself.

So it came that I was able to sit here on this hill, like everything was normal, like there was no war. And even though everything seemed peaceful now, this day would turn out to be anything but normal.

~✿~