Ch 4: The Initiation - part 6

When we arrived back at our point of departure, we found headmistress Faewood and Miss Stirling awaiting us. They seemed to be deep in conversation with one of the older students- at least, I presumed she was an older student. I hadn't seen her in the crowd before, as far as I could recall.
As soon as we came close enough, all eyes turned to us.

'I see you've made your way back here?' Stirling took a couple of notes on her list- and then stopped to take a look at us again, a little bewildered. 'Why, exactly, are there three of you?'

'The group's uneven, ma'am.' explained Iklím.

'Uneven?' Stirling's voice skipped slightly. 'The group's never been uneven before.' She started vigorously looking through her folder, rapidly turning over page after page, perhaps in an effort to find the student records. 'I can't possibly have missed such an important thing?'

Faewood shook her head silently. 'You didn't miss anything. I can explain this.' She said as she walked up to me. 'I made an exception this cycle when I sent out an Invitation to miss Frostthorn.'

'An ex- excep- ception? For- for me? Why?'

A slight smile appeared on Faewood's face. 'Oh, you just happened to bloom a little later than usual, dear. But now that you're back here again anyway, I believe miss Muñoz has a little something to ask of you.' She gestured to the student next to Stirling.

I wanted to ask another question, but swallowed it and turned my attention towards the student, who grinned and shook my hand.

'Hi, I'm Ezra Muñoz, second class' student here at Arthyrell. My friends and I share a dormitory here, but we've been down a member since last cycle's finals and I've been looking for a new roommate since- with a little help from Faewood.' She quickly eyed in the general direction of where the headmistress was, who nodded to encourage her to keep talking. 'I saw your Initiation earlier today and thought you'd fit right in- can't hurt to ask, at least. Would you be interested in filling the spot?'

I nodded absently, completely perplexed by the sudden change of plans- but then I shook my head and turned to Iklím and Abrish. 'But what about you two? We passed the Initiation together and- I- I just...'

Abrish put her hand on my shoulder again. 'Well, it looks like we've found you a fairy partner after all. That was what we set out to do, wasn't it?'

Although she had straightened her back and lifted her head, her shoulders were hanging and I thought I heard a hint of disappointment in her voice. And Iklím was even less willing to accept it.

'Nu-uh, I ain't letting her go just now. I'm actually starting to like this gal.' She turned directly to me. 'Unless- unless ye really want to go, 'course.'

I shook my head again. 'I don't want to leave you two, either.'

'Who said anything about leaving them?' Faewood put her hands together. 'If we all put in some effort, I'm sure we can work something out. Right, Stirling?'

The professor made a questioning sound at the mention of her name. She stopped her search through notes and paperwork immediately. 'Hm? Oh, uhm... no. I mean, yes. We can... figure something out. I think...'

'Really?' Iklím exclaimed astoundedly.

'If everything's all right with Muñoz, as well?' Abrish asked.

Muñoz nodded. 'I don't see a problem with taking in a few extra members. It might get a little crowded in the dorm, but it's big enough.'

Faewood clapped twice. 'All right, then, that's settled. Now, off you four go. Muñoz will show you the way to the dormitories.'

It was no sooner said than done. We only took a quick detour to fetch our bags- and while our small group made our way into the Academy, Stirling waited patiently until we were out of sight before she let out a deep, heavy sigh.

'You are an administrative nightmare. You do realize that, don't you?'

The headmistress tried to hold back a laugh. 'It's good to loosen up a bit at times. You should try it some time.'

Stirling gave her an unamused look, but smiled when she looked back to her paperwork.

'May I ask something, though?'

'Go ahead.'

'Why go through such lengths to fulfil Muñoz' request?'

Faewood looked out over the forests ahead of her, allowing the wind to breeze through her bushy hair as she relaxed her shoulders. 'You of all our kin should know the importance of receiving a chance like this, Mirana. It's not every day that you come across younglings so willing to give each other just that ... Say, can I- leave the rest up to you for today?'

When Stirling gave an affirming nod, the headmistress turned around and took the first few steps up the stairs leading to the entrance, then held still midway. 'Besides, I have other reasons to bring this group together.'

Without awaiting a response, she went on and closed the door behind her

~✿~

While this conversation was taking place, our newly formed group had found its way to the dormitories- something I probably would have taken more note off had I not been completely exhausted by the three day journey and our walk that very morning.

Muñoz took the liberty to tell us a couple of things about the school grounds, about the teachers and about our fellow members- but most of it quite honestly just went by me- and I didn't quite like the feeling of missing out on all this.

When we stood in front of the door leading to the dormitory we'd be sharing, I shook my head a couple times in an effort to bring myself out of my haze and shake off the feeling. I clutched my hand around the handle of my bag, nervously shifting my weight from one leg to the other and back again while Muñoz opened the door. And the moment she did and I saw the other members of our dorm, my eyes widened and I dropped my bag in disbelief.

'You are the fairy from my dream.'

~❀❁❀~