Ch2: The Nevadoran Forest - part 5

Roots nor branches could block my way. My legs felt like they were about to give in, but I had to go on.

The "paths" seemed to be way longer than I could recall and the roads were a lot more trouble to pass over.

I was lucky to know where to find Hazel. Or - well - where she would most likely be.

If I was correct, she had gone to the place where her parents always took her before this forest was taken over by Nevadora in the aftereffects of the war. She used to talk about it all the time, wishing she could show it to me one day.

The only problem was I didn't exactly know how to get there, only vaguely where it should be located.

I could easily get lost in this forest, dark as it was, even on a sunny day like this. The further I went, the more the branches tangled my hair and tore up my dress. It became increasingly harder to breathe and on top of that, the pain in my legs forced me to slow down even further.

How long had it been?

I tried to remember exactly how many minutes had passed since I'd entered the forest. At first, there had still been indicators, I could still see the sun and not only this thick fog clouding my sight. But at this point, I could see about as much ahead of me as behind me- nothing.

I tried not to think about the possible threats, the creatures I had heard about, but as much as I tried, I couldn't shake off the feeling of being watched.

I tried rubbing my arms a bit - I hadn't even realized how cold it had become 'till now that I'd slowed down a little. If I had known I was going for a hike today, I wouldn't have worn such a summery dress.

But I hadn't known, how could I have?

"Oh, what was I thinking coming in here all by myself? I should've listened to An, we should've gotten help." I sighed. "I guess I've never been good at admitting that..."

Cr-crrrreek... cr-crack

"What was that...? Better keep going."

I sped up my pace again, looking around quite often. My heart was bumping in my chest, it almost took over from the sounds around me. I took a deep breath. And another one.

That's when I walked into a hedgerow- and a very irregular one at that- this one had a massive amount of thick pointy thorns.

Walking from left to right and back again did me no good, there was no way around the thing. I did not exactly like the thought of it, but I had to face it, the only way to get past it was to go through.

Bracing myself, I took the first few steps in. With my arms crossed before my eyes like this, it was even harder to see through the mist. For a moment, I didn't think I'd make it, the little cuts stung like crazy and the air became increasingly difficult to breathe in, it even started to hurt.

But when I finally made it out, I was met with yet another surprise.

It took but a second to take in - I covered my mouth as fast as I could, taking steps back in an effort to stay clear of an omen I had not expected to come across this time of the cycle: spores. How hadn't I thought of that sooner? It explained the hurt in my lungs perfectly - so much for taking all those notes in college.

Right in front of me was a humongous tree, a tree that had once been the heart and life of the forest, now spreading its infection of darkness and the scent of decay, of death. Its branches reached all over the place, with leaves of black and pulsing purple to accompany its gasses - gasses that were coming my way!

I backed off as fast as I could, but the hedge had closed in behind me, trapping me like a pixie in a jar. I had to think fast, follow the row backed to the edge and...