Chapter 8: She's a Ghost

Emmas pov
I stared at the tv in awe of what I was seeing. "She looks just like- me," I stuttered. "How is that possible?" David asked. "I've never seen her before," I said. Some of her face was covered by a black hoodie but from what you could see she looked just like me. Except her hair was dark brown. I just kept staring at the tv. She had my eyes, chin, and other than the color her hair looked like mine. "I'll take this to the station," David said grabbing the tape and walking back to the front of the shops and Belle followed. "You okay," Killian asked. "I- I don't know. How is that possible?" I asked. "I don't know either. But we'll find out," he said grabbing my hand and giving it an assuring squeeze. I just smiled as we walked back out hand in hand.

I don't know how many times I watched that video. The girl looked scared and lost for a moment, but what really go to me was the fact that she knew her way around the shop. Because without hesitation she ran out the back door like she knew exactly where it was. None of us had seen her around town but that didn't stop us from asking other people and posting a few fliers. Nothing. No one had seen her before. I had to wonder where she was staying. She only had a backpack with her when she was in the shop. We also checked at granny's, she hadn't gotten a room. So far, she seemed like a ghost. Appearing and then going back into the shadows.

Five days had passed since the break in at the shop. Still no sign of the girl, no sign of who she was or what she wanted. I was sitting in the kitchen of the loft staring at a cup of hot cocoa I'd made. I was pulled from my thoughts by the sound of Henry's voice. "Mom," he said as if he was asking a question. "What," I said turning my attention towards him. Stare at that hot chocolate any longer it'll be cold," he said sitting down next to me. "Right," I said raising the mug to my lips and taking a sip. "Have you found out anything about the author?" I asked breaking the silence. "Sadly, no. It's a lot harder than it sounds," he said never letting his eyes leave his hands. "I know, I know," I said with a sigh before I took another drink of hot cocoa.