Chapter 38 - Closure

---Kyle's POV---

The clicking of claws was loud, bouncing off the walls as soon as we entered Drake's office. His eyes were warm and gentle as he looked down at me, ushering me further in his room before they turned cool and frigid the second he glanced at the wolf following behind us.

Drake slid open a few drawers, retrieving soft pants, socks and some loose shirts before placing them in two separate rooms.

I caught the hint and shut the door behind me, shifting and getting dressed. My heart stuttered and swelled when I realized this shirt had no buttons, nor did the pants.

Something that my trembling fingers would have trouble with.

Instead I was provided with soft fabrics that wouldn't aggravate my scars, pants that had a stretchy band within them and clung onto my hips without having to tie them down.

As I nudged the door back open, Drake was waiting at the desk with crossed arms. Which dropped instantly along with his stern expression, turning warm, soft and gentle as he smiled in my direction.

It made my stomach flip awkwardly at the pure joy in his eyes and the bashful grin that slipped on his lips.

I returned his smile hesitantly before it faltered as the door across opened and Elliot made his way out, glaring at the floor.

While I was still a bit wary of the man, I doubted he would be as foolish as to attack me. His first attempt, if that could even be called an attempt, was thwarted my Shadow and the wild pack.

And Drake had shown Elliot that this time, he wasn't going to reach out a hand. He had enough. He has done enough. There was nothing left to give.

For a moment, I felt pity for both of them. Especially Drake who, unlike me, had his ex-mate shove himself in his face time and time again.

He had explained enough and I had put enough pieces together to know the truth. Drake had done all he could to reach a helping hand to Elliot, to help the man recover from their rejection process.

It made me shuffle my weight, hugging myself unconsciously. I had hid away in a forest, had reverted to the most animalistic origins of our kin. Anything to lessen the pain, to avoid being confronted with the rejection.

Yet, Drake had been confronted with nothing but his rejection. From what I heard, each time someone joined his pack, Elliot had come over to investigate. To pry, to insult, to prevent Drake from fully healing.

And here he was again, had been so certain he'd get his way again. Only this time, Drake had done nothing to help. He was tired of reaching out to Elliot, to let him know that the bond was gone.

Now, Drake was focusing on his own healing, his own life. A spark of pride burned in my chest as I shot the man a look. Because he could've lashed out. As an Alpha, he could've demanded retribution for the utter disrespect shown to him, could've waged wars between packs that would alter countless of lives.

Instead, he had nodded and accepted his fate and had turned his sorrow into a beautiful, understanding pack.

A pack that, thanks to their Alpha's own understanding of rejection, thrived. Survived, because of him.

"So, who's this then?" Elliot's scoff broke me from my thoughts, making me raise a brow as I crossed my arms. I didn't want to make any false impressions but Elliot seemed to be much too... pretentious to be an Beta for any healthy pack.

Beta's were often a strangers' first impression of the pack. As an official representative, they were supposed to pay mind to their actions and how they could cast their pack in a bad lighting.