Chapter 51 - A dire cost

---Kyle's POV---

Keeping one's hope and dreams alive was a lot harder than it may seem. Especially when one became disillusioned with life itself.

Drake let out a sigh on his own desk while I tiredly rummaged through paperwork the Betas had already scanned and presented to us.

"Why are people so stupid?" I murmured tiredly after reading a report of an Alpha who rejected his mate in a fit of rage, only to instantly regret the rejection and wished to undo it. "What is so hard to understand about rejection being a permanent, unaltered state?"

At that, Drake snorted in agreement before replying "You'd be surprised at how many people think they know better. Until the very moment they'd experience it themselves and suddenly wish that someone else knows better."

Both of us released a tired sigh, wishing we could just ignore all this paperwork and head to bed. Instead, we still had quite the amount of work waiting for us, despite our best efforts of doing as much as we could.

Luckily the Council's people proved to be invaluable. Not only did they work without complaint, they actually helped improve pack dynamics where needed.

And in turn, it seemed that we were accidentally giving the Council more and more work. At least, unintentionally.

With each added report that portrayed sheer stupidity and ignorance, there was another pack that the Council needed to visit. A mass re-education was in order, almost desperately needed in some cases.

Of course, rejections weren't a common thing. But when you were a pack that dealt only with rejections, the amount was disgustingly high.

And the price paid by the rejected immeasurable.

"How's Basil?" Drake questioned, dropping the forms in his hands as concern filled his expression.

I grimaced in response. The reminder of the poor Omega in our care proved a painful point to my earlier thoughts.

"Depressed. Absolutely gutted, given the news." I whispered, shivering at the memory of Basil's mournful howl a mere week ago.

Omegas were blessed with the ability to produce pups. It was rare that it happened in the first place and extremely harsh on their bodies to grow a litter to maturity in beneficial circumstances.

We had instantly alerted the Council when we learned Basil was in fact pregnant with his first litter. Asked for assistance and information, as we didn't know how to properly deal with this delicate situation.

After all, rejection took a toll on the rejected person and had dire repercussions if the rejected mate was pregnant at the time.

With the young Omega carrying the future Alpha-to-be new litter, the future of the pack, the stakes had become that much higher.

If news spread that Basil was pregnant, not only would his ex-mate wish to see the Omega, the blood-vendetta between packs would target Basil even harsher than before.

Then again, the presence of Basil's ex-mate might stave off the worst of the attacks and ire of the pack.

As we communicated with the Council and had their doctors come over to take care of Basil, we were contemplating the necessary steps we'd need to take.

Inform Basil's former mate of the truth of the Omega's rejection and have them reconcile, prove that Basil's pups were in fact the young Alpha-to-be 's heirs or... keep the news to ourselves.

"I'm happy we asked Basil what he wanted to do but..." Drake's sigh was heavy with sorrow and compassion for the young Omega in their care. "I wish it hadn't come to this."