Chapter 32 - ...Cute?

---Kyle's POV---

I have never seen Drake while he was angry, not once. He was always calm and collected, a kind and understanding Alpha that pushed his own needs and desires aside to benefit his pack.

Now, my wolf was awkwardly pacing in my mind as I barely cringed away from the simmering rage that emitted from Drake.

And yet, as his eyes scanned over Ellie's house, found every cracked stone and shattered window, he remained calm. He smiled down at Ellie and reassured the little pup with kind words and soft scratches.

But I could tell that on the inside, his wolf was snarling and snapping its teeth. The way his eyes hardened a fraction when we went inside and closed the door, only for it to creek back open.

The way his lips pursed into a thin line at the noticeable dampness in the air, the chill that clung to your skin and sank in your clothes.

The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end as I shuffled to the side, fighting back the urge to shift. Asami's crimson eyes flitted through the house as well, taking in every inch with a cold scrutiny.

When the vampiress glanced at me, I instantly averted my eyes, unable to contain the low grumble in my throat. It wasn't a threat, not at all. Just my wolf alerting anyone in the room that I was feeling extremely uncomfortable with the emotions being presented to us.

"My apologies, Kyle-kun. " She apologized politely, lips pulling in a tender smile when she glanced at Ellie. "It wasn't my intention to distress either of you. I was merely equally surprised and disgusted with the pack's treatment of one of their own."

Drake hummed in agreement, scratching behind Ellie's ear as he grinned down at her. "And who could get angry with such a cute lil face like yours?" He coed at the pup, making her yip and squirm in his hold.

My stomach.... I don't know. It was a weird and uncomfortable sensation that made me shuffle my weight as I looked away, focusing on the vampiress as she slowly walked around, taking note of everything in the house.

And whatever was lacking.

Asami clacked her tongue in distaste, a perfectly manicured fingernail tapping against the wall. Her eyebrows arched slightly as the wall crumbled easily under the slight pressure, showing the water-logged bricks behind the chipping paint.

"Honestly, what was he thinking?" She pondered before shaking her head with a snort. "Never mind, we're talking about Curtis here. He already proved that he doesn't think."

I blinked at that, startled that, even as a visiting representative of the Council and so far had been extremely polite, this was the first time I had openly heard her demean someone.

"Wow, that's harsh, especially coming from you, Asami." Drake snickered, placing Ellie on the floor. "Why don't you go and collect some of your clothes and items that you wanna take with you hun?"

She yipped, little tail wagging at the gentle praise that her wolf, and herself, had been deprived of. I bit my cheek as Ellie flew up the stairs, attempting to take them two steps at a time before her little wolf skipped a step and tumbled down.

Ellie caught herself with an embarrassed yip but much to her credit, simply shook her fur out before she continued at a calmer pace.

The vampiress waited until the little pup was out of view before she sighed. "Curtis has lost all his standing with the Council, even before we were informed of current events."

Drake's eyebrow rose in surprise and both of us shared a look. "So Ellie is...safe? The pack won't be able to retaliate to us or her?"

"Yes." Asami grinned, fangs peeking just past her lips as she bowed in respect to Drake. "We very much appreciate that you brought Curtis' transgressions to our attention, Drake-san. We were already intent to investigate his pack but your message sped up the process."