Chapter 14 - Misfits

---Kyle's POV---

The tour was surprisingly short.

Mark had made a wide circle around the territory, pointing out gathering points and border patrols before pausing as a presence approached. My fur stood on end at the dormant waves of power that rippled towards us.

Yet Drake didn't seem the least bit threatening, smiling easily as he approached with a lazy wave of his hand. For being an Alpha, he sure lacked ... well, he didn't really lack anything. I quickly realized it only seemed as if the Alpha lacked self-preservation but that was simply because Drake knew how powerful he was.

And he wasn't being cocky about it.

I growled to myself and shook my fur, irritated at my train of thought. Meanwhile Drake came to a halt a few steps away, warm boots strapped around his feet to protect from the creaking snow.

His dark jeans barely hid how muscular his thighs were and I was honestly impressed how his sweater strained over his chest, barely hanging on yet refusing to break.

"Alpha." Mark nodded with a polite smile before turning towards me. "I was just giving Kyle a tour of the territory. Since you're here, I'll leave that up to you so I can finish the paperwork."

Drake smirked thankfully, "Good, you know how I can't stand to deal with those lawyers. Pompous, egotistical peacocks." He said disdainfully and I couldn't help but snort. They both glanced my way before Mark nodded "It's the reason why I prefer dealing with them and not be at risk of dealing with another lawsuit, Alpha." and took his leave.

We watched the grey wolf lope into the distance before Drake spoke up. "Personally I don't understand why anyone wants to deal with paperwork in the first place. Thankfully I have Mark for that." He smirked and shook his head, proceeding me to the town.

I hesitantly followed in his footstep, feeling his Alpha powers fluctuate and pulse like a heartbeat. "I apologize if any of the pack has triggered you." His eyes flicked towards me, a graceful nod hid his expression behind a curtain of thick hair.

My wolf hesitated on the edge of my mind, unwilling to make the link and allow Drake in our minds once more. It was still too unnerved and agitated, especially with having to trust someone else.

After everything I've been through, I'm not surprised.

Drake seemed to understand but didn't take any offence, merely slowed his gait so we walked side by side.

"Mark told me he explained you the basics but I doubt he explained what this pack does for a living." He proceeded to point to the forest beyond the town and the mountain range behind it.

"Partially we get our funding from the wildlife reserve we run. Wolves, cats, bears... any kind of endangered critters, we rescue and provide them with nourishment, care and a territory to roam freely on. Our patrols make sure no poacher tries anything."

I tilted my head, already interested. It would be easier for us to connect with wildlife, as they could sense the beast within, making it easier for us to interact with a wounded or sick critter.

"Which is also part of the reason why Mark has to deal with those blasted bloodsuckers humans call lawyers." Drake continued with a snort, his gorgeous features pulling in a sneer of disdain. "Apparently those mountain tops are rumored to be riddled with gold, ruby and all kinds of mineral veins that the mining industry wants to lay their grubby hands on. They've been harassing me into selling part of my turf or at least allow them to excavate the mountain."

Drake snorted almost wolf like, shaking his head while his powers lashed out for a second. "As if I'd allow any gold-diggers set a single toe in my territory and demolish my homeland." He paused, inhaling the cool air deeply before sighing with a content grin. "The view alone would make it a crime to alter it in any shape or form."