Chapter 34 - One step at a time

---Drake's POV---

A weight dropped off my shoulders the second we set our paws on pack lands. Partially because as an Alpha, it felt uncomfortable to leave your pack behind in any shape or form.

You'd always feel that pull inside that guided you home, that urge to go back, to find your people and protect them. But... some pulls were simply stronger than others.

Flicking my ears, I glanced to the side to find Kyle panting lightly, the light tremble in his limbs cluing me in on the fact that his old injuries were hurting him.

Instantly I slowed down, placing little Ellie on the floor and watched her prance through the snow. "Sorry about that... we should be safer now that we're home." I apologized to Kyle, eyes flitting over his form before they strayed to the darkening forest behind him.

While I couldn't see him, I could smell Max's scent that lingered in the air. Either he was too daft to realize that we were standing downwind from him and could smell his scent, or he was doing it on purpose to not startle us.

Either way, I didn't know how to feel about this situation. On one end, I wanted to bar him from entering the pack, wanted to send the patrols after him as soon as he poked his nose out of the bushes.

But I wasn't a dictator. I had allowed ex-mates entry to the pack before, to help get some closure for both parties. That is, if both of them agreed to see each other.

And from what Kyle had told me, what he had shown me through his memories, Max hadn't taken "No." as an end to the discussion.

My hackles rose on a low growl as I stayed one pace behind Kyle, allowing him to walk on his own pace while keeping an eye on our surroundings.

Howls echoed through the woods in a joyful greeting before one of the border patrols approached. They slowed down with wagging tails, lowering their bodies to the ground as they spotted the quivering Ellie.

"Glad to see that the pup is safe and sound." Mark approached us, whining happily as my return took some pressure off of both my Betas.

Monica was sliding her body through the snow, rolling over to show Ellie that she wasn't a threat. Perhaps it was also thanks to her own injuries, but the little pup seemed less hesitant to approach her.

And I huffed with amusement when, soon enough, the entire patrol was forgetting their purpose and were all frolicking through the snow, welcoming the pup into the pack as they played around.

"Mark," I waited until my Beta looked up, golden eyes gleaming with understanding as I commanded, "Let the other patrols know we're back home and send out word that Kyle's ex-mate is lurking around."

"Yes Sir." Mark said with a little nod, his own hackles raising as he inhaled deeply, familiarizing himself with the scent that was carried over. "I'm assuming that there were some issues... You left rather quickly after giving instructions to keep the pack safe."

I snorted, shaking my fur out as I tried to shake off the lingering unease I felt. "Curtis lost whatever lone braincell that was hanging on and decided it would be a good idea to insult and threaten the life of Jethro's mate."

A hush of silence fell over the entire group, even Monica who had been running around with Ellie, skidded to a stunned stop. All eyes wide, mouths agape as the implications of that statement sunk in.

"Has he lost his mind? Is he trying to have his entire pack razed to the ground?" Mark yelped, several other wolves huffing and yawning in stress before shaking themselves out.