Chapter 41 - Mated

---Kyle's POV---

The mark on my neck was still new, still fresh and highly sensitive. I couldn't even bare to have a shirt over it, as the slightest rustle of fabric over that patch of altered skin made my toes curl within my shoes.

It was a natural side effect of the Marking, an event that always lead to mating. Both mates that were marked couldn't bear to have those marks covered for the first few days.

Which was the reason why I was lying on the couch in Drake's office, who was seated behind his desk without a shirt as well.

A fact that made my wolf purr with delight. Enjoying the view and huffing with satisfaction that we could call this man ours.

The bond between us was still new, tentative. A frail thing that needed to be nurtured and built into something stronger.

Something unbreakable.

Nuzzling against the pillow, I flopped on my stomach, unable to focus on anything except my mark that stood out against Drake's shoulder.

And judging from the fact that Drake kept sneaking glances at me over his paperwork, pen unmoving in his hands, he too was distracted.

Though I couldn't blame him. Even though the room was filled with a comfortable silence, our wolves were anything but.

The pair of them had been getting familiar with one another. Slowly testing their boundaries, playfully fighting and chasing one another around.

And it was addictive to simply sink back in our minds and observe the play. To feel our wolves frolic with one another, feel their bond strengthen and succeeding to amplify our own emotions.

I smiled, closing my eyes to bask in my wolf's pure joy and happiness. He deserved it too. After all the injuries we sustained, both physical and mentally, he had been the one who pushed on.

He had been the one to persevere, to guide me to a safer place. Each time I had wanted to give up, my wolf had been the one to whisper encouragements, to soothe my pain even though it was suffering under the same torment as well.

Yet, he had never complained. He was always there with a wag and a comforting aura. I was glad that he could finally relax, could finally enjoy himself.

Even now, the bond between all four of us was growing. But scars didn't heal overnight. There were moments in the playfights where the wolves would grow tense, hackles raised and teeth bared for a moment.

Fearful that one would turn on the other.

Especially my own wolf would tense and become defensive, merely due to the fact that we had been physically attacked in the past.

By none other than our very own mate.

Yet Drake's own wolf was incredibly patient, allowing my wolf to relax from each minor flash back before inviting it to play.

Reaffirming that he was nothing like Max.

I sighed, a gesture copied by Drake before he pushed his seat back, motioning me over.

Pushing off the couch and abandoning the pillow, I gave Drake a curious look as I approached before yipping in surprise when I was pulled in his lap.

And then sighed contently when his lips pressed against mine.

Home.

It was a soft, fuzzy feeling that enveloped me completely, a heat that started to simmer in my lower stomach. Soothing, warm, spreading through my veins the longer we kissed.