Chapter 35 - Hugs heal the soul

---Kyle's POV---

Steam obscured most of the vision in the bathroom, the soft fabric of the towel cushioning my head as I rested against the lip of the bath.

The water was hot, just on the verge of scalding my skin. It had taken cautious steps in the tub to get used to the water before I was able to slowly sink into that liquid heat.

My muscles still trembled, ached, but I could tell that most of it wasn't true, genuine pain. The sharp stabs followed by twitching muscles was mostly phantom pains as my mind kept getting overwhelmed by memories.

And each memory was followed with a stab of pain as my muscles locked, spasming without control. Truthfully, our quick departure from Curtis' lands hadn't really helped.

Glancing down at my scared hands, I moved them out of the water, flexing the fingers and eying the slight, almost imperceivable tremble to them.

Even after surgery... I'm still fucked up beyond repair.

Seeing Max after all this time... A low growl snarled through my throat before I huffed, splashing some of the hot water in my face. Hoping that it wasn't too obvious I had cried.

Why did that bastard have to show up? Ruin whatever small modicum I had that resembled happiness?

My wolf whined as I yawned in stress, dunking my head under the water once more before my eyes landed on my scars. I didn't get it... why would he do all this to me, treat me like filth... only to come running as if I was a helpless damsel in distress?

Each thick line that grew an ugly red in the heat of the tub, standing out as if to shout the memory of their creation.

Hot breath seconds before teeth dug in, shaking and tearing through muscle. Deafening snarls and snapping of teeth as my attention zipped from one wolf to another, trying to prevent them from getting a hold of me, trying to flee, to hide-

My thumb rubbed over my wrist, feeling the joint push against the skin at an awkward angle. I still remembered the pain as sharp teeth bypassed my fur, pierced through my skin before Max' jaws clenched shut and shook-

A sharp jolt of pain webbed through my wrist before I hissed, pressing harder against the thick scars. Slight tapping against the window made me startle, teeth baring with a growl to warn off the intruder before I realized it was just the snow.

With my heart thundering in my chest, I observed the white fluff circling through the air, tapping softly against the window as the wind slowly picked up in strength.

Frustration filled my mind before I sighed, leaning towards the soaps. "Bastard put me on edge.." I grumbled to myself, sniffing at the soaps before squeezing a handful in my palm.

The actual washing was quick, mindless as I tried my best not to linger on my scars. But how could I ignore them, when they turned a harsh pink against my skin, when every motion I made was followed with stabbing aches and tensed muscles.

When my dreams consist of nightmares focused on the past...

A knock echoed through the room as I was just stepping on the tub, making my heart jump in my chest. Stumbling to snag the towel off the lip of the tub and wrap it around my hips, my heartrate skyrocketed when another soft knock sounded.

"Kyle? Are you still awake? You didn't fall asleep in there, right?" Drake asked with a mixture of amusement and worry. A soft huff of amusement escaped me as my shoulders relaxed.

"No, I'm awake... Just... didn't really focus on the time. I'll be right out." I replied, unplugging the tub and drying myself off as the water slurped noisily down the drain.