Chapter 6 - Scars

---Kyle's POV---

I huffed for the umpteen time, wriggling as impatience filled my body, my leg held out to make it easier for the nurse. At the moment she was cutting off the cast and I was bored of lying there in wait. I wanted to run free in the woods, to go where I wanted, when I wanted.

The jittery energy flowing through me almost reminded me of when I was a pup, always running in my parents' pawprints and jumping to nip at their swaying tails. Uncontainable and impossible to redirect. The vague memory made me smile before I shook my head and turned it the other way.

I needed to run to calm down, to stop thinking about everything...

But with that insufferable cast on my leg, I couldn't go anywhere! And if that nurse deemed my wounds not sufficiently healed, she'll put on a new one and I'd be stuck here for even longer.

A low grumble escaped my throat, ears pricking up when the Alpha entered the room. Its been about a week and a half since I've been here and I had barely made any contact with any of the pack. 

Sure there were teens who aggravated me, a game of poke the bear to prove their bravery against their friends. I snorted, shaking my head as I laid my head down with a huff. Some bravery they had. I hadn't even bared my teeth at any of the youth and they already fled with their tails tucked tightly against their stomachs.

All the while I was keenly aware of the Alpha's eyes on me, his Beta's and Gamma's always close by and keeping an eye on my every move. No doubt they figured I'd be a savage monster that would snap when left alone.

I snorted when there was a knock on the door, a teenager poking his head in before spotting the Alpha. "Sir, he just arrived and is looking for you? Should I bring him or...?"

He shook his head, shooting a glance my way before looking at Karen. "I'll be right back, Karen. I'm sure that Drake is eager to discuss this topic, so if you'll excuse me..." He left when the nurse nodded, the Betas giving me one last glance before they obediently and quietly followed in the Alpha's footsteps.

"Okay, looks like you're ready to go. Your fractures have healed enough to get rid of the cast but you should keep calm for at least another day or two." I almost didn't hear her continue after her first sentence. My eyes were just focused on the cast she was removing completely now.

A last few snips and she grinned as I instantly bounced off of the bed, stretching my legs behind me before whining in delight at the sensation.

Wow... this hurts a lot less compared to-

My mood quickly soured at the memory before I shook myself, taking a few steps to test the healed wounds. There was a slight pinch when I put down too much force but it was more than manageable.

"Don't get too excited. I still need to do one last test and check up but you'll need to shift for that." My teeth clicked together in annoyance, unwilling to shift but knowing that if I refused to do so, I'd be denied to move outside freely.

With an annoyed huff, I shifted, cracking my neck and slightly glaring at Karen when she blinked before clearing her throat. "I'm sorry for any discomfort but it is easier to classify your old wounds and scars in human form. Otherwise I'd be forced to shave your wolf."

She tapped a pen against the side of her clipboard before taking a deep breath. Karen didn't even bat an eye at my nudity and neither did I mind. It was common under shifters and something that was bound to happen anyways.

As she walked around, scribbling on her papers, I stared at the wall ahead with a bored expression. Why they felt the need to check up on scars and old wounds was beyond me. They had healed and I had survived, end of story.