Chapter 25 - Pack manners

---Kyle's POV---

The little pup was hunkering down against my legs with every step I took. I couldn't blame her though; as soon as we approached the pack and saw more wolves in the distance, Ellie's little tail had tucked tightly between her legs in fear.

Wolves from different sizes and colors were pausing in whatever they were doing, staring in slight confusion and some with a hint of disgust at the pup between my paws.

Their eyes quickly snapped to mine when I let out a low growl, hunkering down over the pup while my hackles raised menacingly.

My stomach churned with disgust when I could clearly read their reaction to my defensive display. They were stunned that I protected the little pup from harm.

Leaning down, I gave Ellie a reassuring lick over her fuzzy head before tucking my teeth behind my lips, gingerly picking up the pup.

It would allow us to move quicker without risking her falling behind. Plus, the few teenagers that needed to prove something would feel less inclined to come charging against an adult compared to if Ellie managed to wander away from me.

She only wriggled uncomfortably for a moment, most likely due to her fear that I'd bite instead of harmlessly hold her. Ellie's wolf quickly calmed down as I trotted down the street, head held high and tail stiff behind me.

Already I could hear audible grumbles and protests of the pack around me, annoyed that I brought an outcast within their territory.

It was ironic how closeminded packs were yet they claimed to be the pinnacle of cooperation and trust. For most packs, it was a them versus us world and it was all too easy to turn a blind eye to whatever the pack did.

As long as the individuals within the pack weren't harmed, they didn't give two shits. It made me mentally compare most packs I knew and Drake's pack.

He didn't turn a blind eye to a strangers' needs, nor did he obsess about his packs' health and growth. A big pack was always considered to be a sign of a healthy pack but Drake has shown the clear evidence that that wasn't the main cause.

A healthy pack was a pack that could trust it's Alpha blindly to do what was best for everyone involved. Including people seeking refuge for whatever reason.

True Alphas didn't care about who has what pedigree. They cared about their people, all of their people. Drake didn't see any approaching rogue or nomad as a possible threat.

He saw them as someone in need of assistance and he was all too willing to reach out a helping hand.

As I looked down my nose at the little pup secure in my jaws, my ears twitched for a second. Wondering if there truly was someway to help me.

But that wasn't why I was here. No, I was here because I could help this little pup. A little pup that started squirming the second the Alpha got notified and walked outside to greet us.

Undoubtedly doesn't want her anywhere near the packhouse to begin with...

Putting Ellie down between my paws, I shifted back and accepted the shorts thrown my way whilst the Alpha started, "What's the meaning of this? Heading off with the ... pup already?"

He paused, a few of his pack members taken aback like him after eying the multitude of scars that adorned my flesh. Ellie whimpered before I hushed her, picking her up and brushing my thumb soothingly over her ears.

"Not at all. I thought it was polite to inform you I'll be staying at Ellie's house to make sure we bond properly. I couldn't leave her all on her own, especially when one of the patrols stumbled past." I smiled thinly, my wolf on the surface as it snorted.