Chapter 4 - What about us?

Paws thudded on the forest floor, kicking up leaves with each powerful move. The panting breaths that slipped from my jaws were echoed just behind me but I didn't feel afraid. They were familiar and as I looked back, I grinned at my mate.

He grinned broadly, baring his teeth in a wolfish grin before attempting to tackle me. Eyes bright with amusement and love, he let out a playful yip when I dodged him. We jumped back and forth, playfully trying to trap one another before pausing as the Alpha howled.

"Time to go back, my love." He murmured, sniffing and nuzzling at my fur before nudging me ever so softly. I eagerly soaked up the affection and gave back in kind, lapping at his fur until he nudged me away with a chuckle.

He let out a responding howl before pushing himself off, leaping further into the forest and towards the pack. I let out a howl as well before eagerly following behind my mate's tail that flashed through the bushes-

-~-~-

Pain exploded through my skull as I smacked face first in a wall, taking a few staggering steps back while voices hushed and whispered, yelping at the hit I took.

"Easy there, you're alright."

Soothing, strong, commanding. Blinking my eyes, I looked up at the Alpha's face, feeling confused and disoriented from the pain and sudden change in surroundings. I could've sworn I was outside, chasing my mate in a bittersweet dream made from memory.

My legs trembled underneath me, my leg weighing me down with the thick cast wrapped around it. Now that the adrenaline was slowly evaporating from my veins, it was easily replaced with pain and nausea.

Luckily the Alpha was keeping a mindful eye on my form and easily caught me as I staggered before gently placing me back down on a bed. My eyes slid through the room as I panted, ears twitching at the multitude of heartbeats I could hear in the deafening silence.

A lot of pack wolves were standing in the room and gathered at the doorway with solemn expressions. Be it human or wolf, they all had their eyes on me with a tenderness I'd never received before.

"I'm still dreaming, aren't I?" I thought to myself before settling in on the bed. The thick fur that laid above was comforting and I nuzzled in it before sighing tiredly. The Alpha was still hovering nearby, keeping his eyes on me even when he was talking to several pack doctors.

After a few nods and a grim expression, he turned around and slowly approached me. At first I didn't understand why, until I realized there were soft growls slipping from my chest. "Easy...." The Alpha hushed once again before sitting down beside the bed.

"You had surgery on your leg and hip. I'm actually stunned you were able to stand, even if it was for a brief moment. The doctors have fixed your hip and leg as best as they could but they had to focus on your current injuries. The older breaks can be reset at a later date."

I flicked my ears, tilting my head slightly. Why even bother? I wasn't pack and I never will be. I appreciated their kindness but saw it for the poisoned gift it really was. A peace offering to pacify me and make them jump on their command.

My stomach jumped and rolled uneasily as I struggled to stay upright. Drool dripped down my lips as my body shook, the Alpha cringing in sympathy before requesting for a bowl. It was shoved underneath my muzzle just in time, a small puddle forming as there was hardly anything in my stomach to lose.

"It's okay, the medication is going to make you feel sick until it wears off. One of the bone fragments had clipped a major artery. Good thing that Neil checked your gums and noticed they were extremely pale, otherwise you could've possibly bled out during the night." The doctor softly reassured while I dry heaved, shivering and wishing this sensation would end soon.